Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Woman texts husband about finding a dog, husband disapproves













Seen here on Sunny Skyz reproduced here because the poster over there gives away the joke in their introduction and that would have ruined it for you, for you are too perceptive. 

Overly perceptive, that's no criticism, but it does damage simple jokes. For example you will have noticed immediately the coyote is photoshopped onto the sofa.  Coyote outside, coyote inside, same pose. How likely is that? Zero. You'd compare light and shadows for conformation, boom, joke exposed right off before continuing. Knowing that hangs over all that follows. 

Then, the outside coyote pack photographed in desert surroundings but claimed to be outside the house is too much, boom, joke becomes achingly false. 

Finally, you'll sense that some of the male dialogue sounds a little bit more like what a woman would imagine how her husband would react and the type of love affirmation she wishes her husband to deliver than actual masculine perception and dialogue. On that your impulse is claim, "FAKE!" While still there is the chance that it's true to on-the-go dialogue and confusion mixed with straightening out your crackpot wife without damaging her psyche or love affection. 

I have no idea what's fake and what's real anymore and I don't care because still it's a fine joke even if the joke is on me. 

13 comments:

Chip Ahoy said...

That bit of double writing from the husband is in the original.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

The dialogue on Detectorists is quite good, IMHO. I think a big part of writing good dialogue (of that type) is keeping things within bounds. Keep things small. Trust the actors to see what's there to work with and to do their job.

bagoh20 said...

Coyotes scare me. They are very machiavellian. In my neighborhood, people are losing a pet every couple weeks to coyotes who have come down out of the mountains due to drought and fire and are living here now. A few weeks ago a coyote attacked a woman walking her small dog. It took the dog and even with her throwing rocks at it, it had zero fear of her. My nextdoor neighbor has chickens and he already lost some. They used to come right up to my back gate, even with my four large dogs barking in their face. I started laying down heavy fire on them with my paintball gun, and after doing that just once, they never returned again. I hear them howling out in the field behind my house, but they don't show their face around these parts no more. Haze them hard. They will take anything made of meat, and that includes you and your pets. Coyote politics is rough stuff.

bagoh20 said...

That wife sounds just like my gal. She would do that for real.

ricpic said...

Whenever I see a picture of a toddler or even a baby placed on a couch next to the family's dog or cat - I don't care how domesticated the animal is - my immediate thought is what the animal could do to the kid just because it's an ANIMAL! I know a lot of parents think it's cute or darling but it's actually putting their very small child in mortal danger.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Just don't take in a SJW or feminist. They will make your life a living hell.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

I busted out laughing when she said it was howling at the others gathered outside.
lolz.

They hunt in packs usually. (I think?) Like gang members. The sound of a pack of coyotes killing something in the middle of the night is really sick.

deborah said...

Yes ricpic it's dangerous with a very safe dog. For example I read a story where a young kid was sleeping on the sofa or floor with the dog, and when the kid woke up he stepped on the dog. The dog woke up, and out of an automatic fear reaction bit the kid in the face a couple times. Scars.

The Dude said...

WRT pets and children, my concern is always "What will that brat do to that unsuspecting animal?"

But in this case, I admire the escalation - if any of that is true someone should be writing comedy.

edutcher said...

I can believe it.

PS Sixty, most of the time that's true,

Amartel said...

Sounds super fake and the photoshop is clearly fake but maybe a person wouldn't notice that in a text. Certain elderly people in my family send me "humorous" items like this by email, usually with the subject line "Women!" or "Just like a Broad" such like, and the original joke is in an outsize font and it's been forwarded by about a hundred other oldsters up the chain.

AllenS said...

Can't wait until the divorce court transcript.

ampersand said...

About a dozen years ago I came across a fairly large coyote on the bike path near a rail line. I went through the underpass and came upon a young woman with a baby in a stroller and a small dog on a leash. I warned, "Lady, there's a coyote on the other side of the underpass".
"Cool" she said and went scampering off to see. I yelled at her "Won't be so cool for the dog, the baby or you if he snatches one of them."

What in the hell do some people think wildlife is? Disney animatronics?