Friday, September 16, 2016

The Cure: Just Like Heaven

Song #488 in the Rolling Stone magazine 500 greatest songs of all time

"Just Like Heaven" is a song by British alternative rock band The Cure. The group wrote most of the song during recording sessions in southern France in 1987. The lyrics were written by their frontman Robert Smith, who drew inspiration from a past trip to the sea shore with his future wife. Before Smith had completed the lyrics, an instrumental version of the song was used as the theme for the French television show Les Enfants du Rock.

"Just Like Heaven" was the third single released from their 1987 album Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me, while Smith's memories of the trip formed the basis for the song's accompanying music video. The song became the Cure's first American hit and reached number 40 on the Billboard charts in 1988. It has been praised by critics and covered by artists such as Dinosaur Jr., Alvin and the Chipmunks, and Katie Melua. Smith has said he considers "Just Like Heaven" to be one of the band's strongest songs.

2 comments:

Chip Ahoy said...

That guy looks like he used the Baby Jane lipstick kit.

*choked cast back breathless Marvin Martian voice* My camera's infrared has made me very angry, very angry indeed.

It was lightning like crazy tonight KABOOM all over the place and right in my field of view, so I rapidly and deftly set up the tripod, cellphone, camera carefully and thoroughly adjusted the settings properly, manual focus locked, manual shutter and fstop, low ISO and the thing missed a dozen perfect strikes. POW right before my own eyes. It just sat there going by its timer. So I went to B&H and bought a strike finder. And that thing had just better work too or I will have to annihilate it with my Illudium Q-36 explosive space modulā-tor.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

I fell into this band hard when I was younger. Not long after they gained mega pop status, I gave up.