Wednesday, September 28, 2016

leek

I think this is funny.

Flickr is a strange place. They're all about building communities through photographs, for example people form groups around types of photographs and types of cameras and photographs are scoured for publications to specific interests. And people follow photographers for specific interests. I don't engage any of that activity, nevertheless I am notified by email when people do something with my photos.

Today I cleaned an old and filthy leek that had been languishing in my refrigerator crisper. (They should call crispers "limpers" because that's what happens to everything that's put in there)

And within thirty seconds of posting somebody following me "favorited" a closeup of leek dirt.
ARTS!
Then shortly after another person favorited a burrito I made back in July, 2012
This burrito has 1,830 views. 

And right next to that is a photo of a BLT that I made the next day on my own poorly cut sourdough bread that has 3,084 views. Now, how many sandwiches have you made and photographed that's been viewed 3,000 times? Huh? 

You gotta admit that's a bit insane.
Then a few hours later somebody else favorited today's same filthy leek. I'm showing it because it's so dirty.
Incidentally, this dish I invented today is delicious, by wondering, "what am I to do with this leek?" The corn on the cob that I had in the limper, I meant to say "crisper" just now, was too far gone to use. So I opened a pantry tin of corn and used that instead. And I used tinned jalapeño as well since I don't have any fresh ones around here right now and I was already raiding the pantry. 

The sauce is just milk and Wisconsin aged cheddar cheese. It's very good cheese just by the slice. The rest is a potato I diced and boiled yesterday and used only half. Now the second half is used. The bacon is top quality and that really does make all the difference in the world. The world. Its flavor permeates everything else. Now that I discovered that difference in quality I cannot go back to ordinary bacon. For now on I am bacon elitist. Life is too short to f around with ordinary bacon. Try it if you haven't already. It does make all the difference in the world. The world, I say.  

So then, this is leek, cubed boiled potato, corn, jalapeño, bacon, milk, aged cheddar cheese. The whole thing went very quickly. If I opened a restaurant, I'd put this on the menu.

14 comments:

ndspinelli said...

I prefer leeks to onions for agita reasons. Leeks are milder.

Trooper York said...

Leeks are a very underrated veggie. I often use them as the base of my red sauce.

Trooper York said...

I am going to try this review except I am going to substitute coconut milk for the lactose intolerant.

The Dude said...

If only one could replace the intolerant with something as benign as coconut milk.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

If Chip opened a restaurant, I would eat there and order the corn whatsit he just showed.

Leeks are way better than onions in a New England clam chowder. For a good basic potato soup base that can be the start of many other variations of soup my go-to recipe is Julia Child's Potato Leek Soup

ndspinelli said...

Julia Child's potato/leek soup is classic. The weather has gotten colder here. Time for some of her soup. I make the potato/leek soup, my bride makes the chili.

When onions are cooked, I have no problem. Raw onions kill me. We are at the end of tomato season. I make a very basic tomato salad w/ leeks, fresh basil and oregano, olive oil and vinegar. The leeks only need to sit in the vinegar for 30 minutes for them to be agita free for me. Some crusty peasant Eyetalian bread, salami, cheese, and tomato salad is a go to meal in the summer.

ricpic said...

A little dirt on your vegetables won't kill you.

Chip Ahoy said...

No, a little dirt won't hurt, but a lot of sand is just awful mouth feel.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Leeks are the most under rated and represented member of the onion family. They are very good. Exceptional really.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I also love the use of a leek as a prop in Henry V.

ricpic said...

Wow, the speeches about leeks in Henry V really are great stuff! Just google Henry V leeks and you'll see. One guy wears a leek in his hat and another guy promises to beat him about the head for that affront. Or something like that. Don't really understand all the passion about leeks but the Shakespearian language is ALIVE MAN, ALIVE.

Trooper York said...

Personally ever since I started taking water pills I enjoy a good leek. Just sayn'

Chip Ahoy said...

It was to show commonality with the Welsh. In the play it was to show commonality between classes., that it didn't matter one's station, they're all in this thing together.

Originally the Welsh soldiers put a leek on their hat to distinguish themselves from the English. Shakespeare turned that around to show commonality.

Leeks were poor people's food.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

It was also a hell of a dick joke.