Sunday, September 11, 2016

homemade potato chips


This is one potato, a Yukon Gold, the only potato I had around here and it was starting to grow a little branch out of one of its eyes. Sliced above a bowl of water to rid the slices of surface starch and the slices spread out over kitchen towels to dry completely. Cooked in shallow oil, sloshed around after a minute or so, pressed under the oil with a large metal slotted spoon until the bubbles stopped. The oil goes nearly dead indicating all the moisture is out of the slices. Removed and salted while still vulnerable, or else the salt will bounce off. Helpful if the salt is ground to fine of granules as possible. They can seasoned further however you like but I used only sea salt this time. 

Or, you can buy a bag at the store and tear it open. But they can never be this fresh. I imagine this is a lot cheaper too. And it's fun. This potato took three turns in the oil because I used a medium pot.

11 comments:

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

salted while vulnerable. You perv! ;)


mmmmmmm taters.

edutcher said...

My dad used to make potatoes like that.

And they are that good.

ndspinelli said...

How much do you weigh?? You make some great food.

Chip Ahoy said...

I'm underweight. 6'0", I just gained four pounds \o/ up from 134 LB to 138 LB, darn near 10 st.

A nurse told me I'm underweight. But her Red Cross chart looked like all fat people to me. I asked her, "Well, how short must I be to comply with your chart?" And she didn't find that one bit funny. No sense of humor at all. Apparently I should be about 165. I think. But honestly 150 feels all wrong. The elastic band on my underwear flips down. The bicycle tire of fat looks very odd on me. And that's just wrong. My body fat is like 0 and I get cold very easily. I gained the 4LBS by drinking a quart chocolate milkshake every day for a month. I'm still doing that.

Chip Ahoy said...

This is weird. Blogger is showing two separate posts in the back of this, but blending with the post above displaying both together, in safari and in firefox.

I don't understand this.

Even "view" in the back displays them properly. The HTML is posted separately, the blue lens one on top of the potato chip one. I'm massively confused.

Maybe I had just turn off my laptop and turn it back on again.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I love Yukon Gold, but there are some varieties at Farmer's Markets I have found even better. Like a red skin potato, almost maroon skin, but brightly yellow inside. Very waxy, excellent for chips. I wish I got the name.

But I know it when I see it.

chickelit said...

They are gluten free!

MamaM said...

Sadly, my body's response to potatoes is similar to its response to gluten. Two years of not eating both have resulted in more energy and vitality along with the IBS I lived with becoming a non-issue. I grew up with potatoes and bread as daily staples and miss them, but have learned how to live without since allergy responses to both developed in my 50's. The chips look good enough to salivate over, but not copiously.

ndspinelli said...

Chip, I have some pounds I would be happy to donate to your underweight body.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

MamaM, have you tried sweet potatoes as an alternative?

Potatoes don't have gluten, but they can throw your insulin and blood suger out of whack. Sweet potatoes (despite their sweet flavor and name) don't do that. I do not prefer them, but they are good if prepared right.

There is a Japanese sweet potato that looks like a yam from the outside (dark maroon skin) but white inside. You might like it.

You can also substitute mashed cauliflower for mashed potatoes, which is ok (provided you use sour cream and butter on them).

ndspinelli said...

Evi, My acupuncturist is from China. She really pushes sweet potatoes.