Tuesday, June 7, 2016

religious h signs

I put off this category because it sounds a little bit boring, all church-y type words and that blips about 0 on the interest meter, technical and dry, but it turned out to be fun with charm and delight right off. The woman is shown a card with the phrase "hardness of heart" and I think, well, how would you say that? You can see those three separate words, how they look together and that group would convey a petrified heart. The woman shows how she says that, "feels nothing."

She's deaf and she interpreted the biblical phrase to show how hardness of heart is conveyed in her language. You don't say hardness of heart because that's not what is intended literally, it conveys the wrong thing. It's poetic. And there you go again incorporating poetry into your daily English with fancy serifs hanging all over the place and sounding positively Shakespearian in that language.

In a practice song, Cough Syrup, the phrase appears, "I should have found by now" translates visually most clearly with signals, "I need find finish." The past perfect appears possessive when you are Picasso drawing your picture in the air, and nobody is possessing anything in your picture so putting that English structure in your air-picture goofs it up. So does "by now." It is a superfluous clause that sounds natural in English and looks like a weird curlicue in that language. The sequence of signals "I need find finish" is eloquent in that language as "I should have found by now" is in English.

Back to religious H. She is asked,  "Halacha" She says, there's two,  "Jewish Law" and another "set law"

She is asked, "Hassidim" She shows two curly side locks.

She is asked, "hated" She shows the sign I used for 'hate that" that caused a deaf person to stop me and ask what I was saying.

Heal is restore.

She is asked to show, "hermeneutics" and she shows "interpret."

Holy Day of Obligation is shown, "day demand." (Will I ever understand Catholics?)

Homiletics is shown "teach, God, how, right right right down the line, will"

Homocide [sic] is shown "kill" and that signal is every other country's signal for "immigrant."

See for yourself. The same site's "kill" shown by another woman matches religious homocide [sic] by another woman on the same site,  as it should. And that signal matches the way about a dozen countries signal "immigrant" here, you need to type the word for the countries to appear, if you care to see we say kill how they say "person leaving a country." Weird, huh.

The word that brought me to religious H is "hallelujah" and I guessed right with "celebrate." You celebrate by twirling around those New Year's noise making things, odd single use devices that were not around in the hallelujah days. And nobody says that word anyway.

Host of angels is shown "angel, class, class"

Hypocrisy and Hypocrite are new to me. They're cool too. See? How can you ever forget that? You see it once, boom, locked in permanently, both doing and seeing it, the movement now linked with hypocrisy.  And available for use immediately. Just think, "hypocrisy" and also think one hand suppressing the other automatically.  Somehow. It's weird because the movement doesn't actually relate to anything obvious.

Hyssop is also new to me, three slashes with an invisible twig upon an invisible throng of worshipers. (It must be another Catholic thing.)

Religious H turned out a more interesting to me than I thought it would.

7 comments:

MamaM said...

The mouth movement with hypocrisy and hypocrite adds to the picture.

MamaM said...

Hyssop is not another Catholic thing. It's an Old Testament thing used for the first Passover, and later in Jewish cleansing ceremonies.

Hyssop was the "paintbrush" the Israelites were commanded to use for Passover, possibly for it's sturdiness and ability to withstand brushing, as they were to dip the hyssop in the bowl of blood from a slain lamb and mark their doorposts with that blood in order for the angel of death to pass over them, (Exodus 12:22)

In Levitical law, hyssop was used in the ceremonial cleansing of people and houses. Priests were commanded to use hyssop together with cedar wood, scarlet yarn, and the blood of a clean bird to sprinkle a person recently healed from a skin disease (likely leprosy). This act would ceremonially cleanse the formerly diseased person and allow him to reenter the camp (Leviticus 14:1–7). The same method was used to purify a house that had previously contained mold (Leviticus 14:33–53).

Which leads to David's reference of hyssop in Psalm 51:7: “Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.”

It also appears at Jesus’ crucifixion, when the Roman soldiers offered Jesus a drink of wine vinegar on a sponge at the end of a stalk of hyssop (John 19:28–30).

MamaM said...

And yes, religious H turned out to be more interesting that I thought it would too.

How did religious hell miss the list?

Chip Ahoy said...

It's on the list. Two versions of the same "h" hand shape going down. That's a common first-learned word.

Chip Ahoy said...

Oh! I get it, duh. One hand is not suppressing the other hand. I'm wrong. One hand is hiding the true self of the other hand. I'm an idiot.

I wondered why in this instance as so many other instances how they managed to invent the perfect movement. It never ceases to amaze me. I could not think of this myself, yet they nailed it. They nailed it so perfectly your body accepts it immediately and can use it anytime it wants to say that, and without knowing why it's so perfect. But now I do. It shows hiding the true self and it is perfect.

Kudos, you guys. You really are brilliant.

This is how I've come to accept their new word for Japan and other countries. I thought Japan too weird a sign at first until I realized Japanese minds invented it.
And that made it the same design type thing as their flag. The simplest sign imaginable. Their island, but simple as a circle. A banana peel shape. That's how Japanese visualize their simplified stylized island in sign and it became immediately acceptable. I see now why the kids took it up once they discovered it. I accept it.

Now I can sign Big In Japan even better because "large" is the precise same movement as their island banana peel shape so it goes zoink in zoink and it's clear as all get out BIG in JAPAN.

MamaM said...

Although I've seen hell in sign before (here, if I recall correctly), I'm considering "religious hell" to be a whole 'nother category, with a tight fitting hypocrisy cover.

Is there a signed word for Pharisee? Closer to a religious H or F word category than P.

Chip Ahoy said...

Let's see.

I bet it's Old Jewish priest or something.

This is from ASLPRO.com, the first online dictionaries, regular and religious. And they are reliable.

Yes, something I've never seen. Two P shapes that cross at the shoulders drawing a sort of bib and priestly garment that apparently ties at the corners and drapes as a bib or apron.

(You know, I have to hack these video addresses. They don't even show in reveal source. I deduced their rather obvious pattern and reconstruct them, and bang there they are.)

They also have pharaoh. Guess what it is, guess what it is, guess what it is, GUESS I SAID, okay I'll guess, I bet it's a nemes headdress. Let's see.

Poop.

It's "Egypt, king"

That's okay. "Egypt" is one of my favorite signs because it refers to a uraeus and those go on a nemes headdress as sort of a tiara to appear as a plug in the front in the shape of a cobra. Cool, huh?

King is a K that falls into a system of signs that refers to a diplomatic sash. Queen with a Q, Prince with a P, Ambassador with a A and so on.

Oh man, Religious P is broad and wonderful category. A lot of them are regular words. A few odd ones:

Psychology
Purgatory
Purge
Purim
Purity
Parable 1 and 2
Paradise
Paschal Lamb
Passover 1 and 2
Paul, what do you know. That makes me want to look. This is very odd and cannot be used. It's Miss Man Hands and she signals "U, L, P at the forehead tap tap" and that is unacceptable when PAUL is available.

There's more

Pelegianism (don't know what that is)
Pentateuch
A bunch of regular p words.
Persecute
Perseverance
Personal tral
Personality
Pestilence

There's Peter.

Philosophy
Piety
Pig
Pilgrim
Pillar
Pity
Plague
Plow
Pneumatology
Poetry 1 and 2
Politics
Polytheism
Pomegranate Tree
Ponder
Poor in Spirit
Pope
Portion
Possessions
Power 1 and 2
Praise 1 and 2
Pray
Prayer
Preach
Precious Stones (what?)
Predestination
Prepare
Presbyterian
Presence
Presents
Preserve 1 and 2
Presumption
Pride
Priesthood of Believers
Principle
Prison
Procession.

Man, what a bunch of cool words.

There's a lot more.

Prodigal Son
Promise
Proof
Prophet
Propitiation
Proselyte
Prostitution
Protect
Protestant
Proverb
Providence
Prudence

And more, mostly normal words.

This religious P category is a hidden gem.