Friday, June 24, 2016

Fire-Walking Event Gone Bad

DallasDozens of people were burned Thursday night after walking over hot coals at a Tony Robbins motivational seminar in Dallas, and at least five of those hurt had to be hospitalized, officials said....

Robbins isn’t speaking publically about what might have gone wrong, but his organization, Robbins Research International, issued a statement that said, in part:
“In Dallas tonight, someone not familiar with the fire walk observed the event and called 911 erroneously reporting hundreds of people requiring medical attention for severe burns. While we are grateful to the quick and robust response from Dallas emergency services, only 5 of 7,000 participants requested any examination beyond what was readily available on site.  We are pleased to have completed another successful fire walk for 7,000 guests and look forward to the remainder of an outstanding weekend with them.”
People who have participated in previous fire walks at Tony Robbins events say it isn’t unusual for there to be some injuries. “From a numbers perspective that amount is negligible,” said fire walk participant Tish Bazil. “I don’t mean to diminish anything that’s happened to anybody, but there are some coaching techniques, really specific strategies, that he gives people.” (Link for more)

18 comments:

edutcher said...

OK, I'll say it, you play with fire, you expect to get burned.

chickelit said...

Reminded me of the Onion headline: "Titanic Reenactment Club Loses Another 1,300 Members."

ndspinelli said...

I've always found Tony Robbins creepy. Bubba and Tony "All Teeth" Robbins are buddies.

ndspinelli said...

The Onion did a hilarious piece about the annual Witness Protection Parade always being beset by unexplained accidents, w/ the honored, riding on floats, perishing.

The Dude said...

I like to wear shoes when I walk on coals.

ricpic said...

My feets on fiah!

Feets don' fail me now!!

You pick yo feets in Poughkeepsie?

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

If you weigh over 300 it's going to take you awhile to make it to the 50 yard line.

I'm just saying.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

They should just scoot over to the Billy Graham Jr crusade, where they can get their sole saved.

ricpic said...

"I like to wear shoes when I walk on coals."

Well la dee dah.

Or I coulda said --

Don't put on airs!

Or I coulda said --

Yes, we all know you're High Church...but you don't have to rub it in!

The Dude said...

I KNOW!!!

That, plus I don't want to burn my feet.

Seriously, I burn a lot of scrap and chips and sawdust and branches and who knows what-all, and sometimes I have to kick the wandering chunks back into the main fire pit. Shoes. They separate the edjumacated hill folk from their city brethren.

Jim in St Louis said...

So what is the gimmick? That with the proper motivation the laws of physics will not apply? Or its a medical miracle and your skin cells will not burn?
Or is it really just a trick and you are walking on charcoal and not coals?

edutcher said...

I've heard there's a trick to it. There are certain parts of the coals not as hot as the rest and you have to pick your way. You also have to keep moving.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

How much does one pay to go to one of Robbin's coaching seminars and get the privilege of walking on coals?

Firewalking is mostly physics--coals have a thin layer of ash that makes heat transfer difficult (like for a fraction of a second). So if you walk purposeful across the coals, they won't burn your feet. But things can go wrong.

AllenS said...

Hold my beer, and watch thEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

AllenS.

ndspinelli said...

They would have to walk around my T-bone being grilled medium rare.

ndspinelli said...

"Chiclet tooth" LOL!!

rcocean said...

"But things can go wrong."

There's always the fine print.