Tuesday, May 3, 2016

"USS Cole commander blasts transfer of Al Qaeda Gitmo detainees to Saudi Arabia"

Fox News:  Kirk Lippold, who was commanding officer of the U.S. Navy guided missile destroyer when suicide bombers aboard a small fishing boat blew a hole in the side of the ship, told FoxNews.com Mashur Abdallah Ahmed al Sabri's release was a mistake.

"I would have liked to have seen him receive a military commission where he was tried, convicted and sentenced and then his suitability for release determined under the laws of armed conflict," Lippold said.
"From the perspective of the American people and my crew, he’s never been held accountable," Lippold added.
In addition to those killed, 39 service members were wounded in the Oct. 12, 2000 attack, which came as the Cole refueled in the Yemeni port of Aden, nearly a year before Al Qaeda would register its signature attack, on 9/11.

6 comments:

Trooper York said...

Obamas goal is to release as many criminals as possible to torment normal people. I would not be surprised to see him issue a blanket pardon the way Jimmy Carter did for those who dodged the draft. He would be a hero to his tribe and stick a final thumb in the eye of the rest of us.

edutcher said...

The scorched earth exit of Barack Obama - Matt Drudge.

ndspinelli said...

It is a tribute to the discipline and honor of our military that there hasn't been a coup..yet anyway.

I'm Full of Soup said...

I remember reasding a news article re a memorial service for the Cole held in October 2000. Bill Clinton was there [he had three months left in his presidency] and he promised to track down the killers but then he and Eric Holder spent those last three months working on Clinton's pardons list.

XRay said...

A little OT but maybe not, an article from VDH in the NR. I'm surprised they ran it. And I think I've heard similar words around this place.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/434807/donald-trump-his-supporters

virgil xenophon said...

Well, for starters under the laws of war (even up to the latest Geneva Convention) un-uniformed combatants are liable to be shot automatically upon capture w.o.trial. That guy should have been long dead. Instead with Clinton and Obama in charge..

Makes me think that all that time I spent in Vietnam risking my arse I was dropping my bombs on the wrong people..