Friday, May 6, 2016

USAF NCOs pilfer blankets in South Korea and save a family from fire.

First Sgt. Melanie Scott and Master Sgt Michael Henry with 35th Air Defense in Sontan were out for dinner and noticed smoke. Wondering what they might do they decided on grabbing blankets from a nearby shop and coaxing onlookers to help in stretching the blankets so that mother can drop her three babies one at a time as smoke engulfs their  squat ramshackle four story building.

If you care to see it I suggest turning off sound.



That's gripping. Bravo. 

I was wondering while watching all the way through, again, this confounds me, I don't think that I ever will understand this, why the screaming? What evolutionary advantage does screaming have when everyone is already assembled. A siren is not helpful. Woman to woman, how is this helpful, woman on the street screaming to the woman who must decide to drop her children, how does screaming help that? Scream to the men who must catch them. Scream to the smoke to stop. Scream to the babies to loosen up and don't bite their tongue and mind not slamming their funny bones. Scream to focus group energy to perform something outstanding. What? I see this anxious screaming that adds to anxiety in videos, women screaming for nothing. For nothing. The noise just comes out of their bodies automatically. Somebody please explain this to me 

10 comments:

Trooper York said...

It has to be a natural ingrained response Chip. Perhaps it is what ancient man did to ward off predators. Or more recently to allow raider to identify the women who they would want to capture and not kill. It has to be an ingrained human evolutionary response because as you noted it is universal.

rcocean said...

If this had been done in England, I doubt you would gotten so many screams. Maybe, a few "be careful" and "jump for the center of the blanket".

And at the end "Well, that was interesting".

rcocean said...

General Uxbridge: By God, sir, I've lost my leg!
Wellington: By God, sir, so you have!

ricpic said...

I think it's largely cultural. But there also is a sense in which screaming closes the distance between the observer and the unfortunate participant in an awful event. In other words screaming intensifies the identification of the observer with the participant. That probably sounds too clinical. I've been present when an awful accident was unfolding. Some spectators screamed. Some, like myself, experienced a sudden intake of air, an involuntary gulp. And maybe an "Oh my God," but spoken more to the self than out loud. Extrovert Introvert divide?

Methadras said...

A scream is a warning sign. Even if the immediate help is right next to you because the fight or flight response is in full effect, so it's a very difficult thing to collect yourself and not scream. You want everyone to know that you are in peril and therefore have the full attention on you and how to save you.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Screaming can help over come panic (and freezing) in some cases. I think Troop is right about it being instinctual to frighten predators. Why do they yell in martial arts?

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Great thinking by those airmen. They saved those people (because screaming alone would not have done anythng).

Methadras said...

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Screaming can help over come panic (and freezing) in some cases. I think Troop is right about it being instinctual to frighten predators. Why do they yell in martial arts?


Yelling, Kiai, or K'ihap in martial arts is to enhance the power and time your breathing for your next strike. By shouting you tense the diaphragm which adds power to your hand strikes and kicks. Many martial arts use it also as an emphasis on the power you also project by doing it. I personally don't do it when I practice my martial arts because I don't want my opponent to telegraph my strikes. My teachers hate it when I tell them that. :D

chickelit said...

The screams are as primal as copulatory vocalizations. Notice the screaming stops with resolution.

Possible reasons for evolved screaming:(1) It boasts mens' self esteem to soothe hysterical women; (2) it displays a desirable concern for life which men find attractive along with (1); (3) It may serve as a competitive display among women -- showing who displays more concern.

Synova said...

I donno. Norse. Not a screamer.

(Take that however you will.)