Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Love Letters from the Front Part Three


Dear Mamie,
I hope you are well. As you might have heard we have begun the invasion of Europe. It is only a matter of time until we are in Berlin and Hitler can finally be brought to account. I can only write to you because the officer courier is bringing it directly to you and I am not sending it through the usual channels. The censorship of the mail of the regular Army is such that nothing really can be sent through to the people back home. However rank has its privileges after. Douglas taught me that when I had to kiss his butt back in the Philippines. Now it is our turn after all.
I can’t tell you exactly where I am right now but I just want to assure you that I am safe. I was very busy back in Blighty and could not correspond to you as much as I might have liked. I had a very talented staff and the Brits really put out for us. My driver in particular is very talented and has continued with me and will serve in various positons under me while I remain here in command of the Allied forces.

Today I received some more information about the actions of our boys during the invasion of Normandy. The heroism and bravery of our boys is beyond belief. When the story is told I am sure they will never be forgotten. I know Americans will always honor and never forget the bravery and sacrifices of these brave boys.
Mamie I can’t tell you how much I miss you and wish I was home enjoying a meal of meatloaf and mashed potatoes with you back home in Kansas. Do you remember those days when we lived in that palace in Manila? I would trade an evening in our home with you for all the palaces in the world. Please pray for me and our boys and that we can finish the job so we can all go home.
With all my love,
Ike 

6 comments:

edutcher said...

Ike's security detail said if he'd been fooling around, they'd have known it.

and he wasn't.

Also, if you ever saw an interview with Kay Summersby, you'd know she's the type who will try to tell you what she thought you wanted to hear.

PS His years with MacArthur probably were what qualified him to be Supreme Commander.

ricpic said...

If that's a picture of Summersby can you blame Ike?

edutcher said...

I saw her interviewed a couple of times, once one done in the 50s and another for the "World At War" in '72 and I don't think that's her. Troop will have the final say, but she never struck me as all that wow.

TrooperYork said...

Yes that is indeed Kay. This is how she first enticed Ike. The way she seductively slid the flag up and down that same antenna. Up and down. Sensuously. Seductively. Wantonly. As she winked at him.

That is all it took.

edutcher said...

Bull.

As I say, his security detail has killed that dead.

And, as I also said, if you ever saw her in an interview, you know she'd lie her face off if she thought it might get her something.

Trooper York said...

I think his security detail will be very loyal to his memory.

None of JFK's secret service guys ever confirmed the stuff he did.

If he did dip his wicket into her cricket patch it doesn't take anything away from him. People make mistakes. Even Generals.