Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Letters from the Front Volume Four




  
My own dear Beatrice,

I take pen in hand to inform you of the most wonderful occurrence. The General was kind enough to release me from my duties as his aide and allowed me to serve on the line. I had spent some time with the 13th Calvary. Stout fellows all. But that is not what I wanted to share with you.

We were tasked with tracking the heathen Mexicans in this foul desert. Ever since that bandit Villa raided our Homeland we have chased these benighted animals from pillar to post. They hide and strike from the shadows as they are afraid of meeting the Army at swords point. The Mexicans are a cowardly sneaky people who are a combination of laziness and malice that has vexed the government for these many months. The bandit Villa reveled in attacking storekeepers, ribbon clerks, women and children. When the Army appeared he fled with his minions into the hills.


 Beatrice I must tell you of the amazing events of the past few days. I was traveling with a squad and two civilian’s scouts in some touring cars when we came across tracks. The scouts determined that they had to be bandits. They wanted to return to base to get some horses to follow the tracks but I ordered the unit to go forward in the automobiles. It was through the trackless waste of the desert so it was possible for us to both trace this miscreants and to follow them to a conclusion. Think of it Bea! War on wheels. I think it can be the coming thing! Oh the plans I have!

We found them hiding in a small ranchero along the way. I drew my pistol and shot each of them. There were three bandits and one of them turned out to be Cárdenas the second in command to the animal Villa. I used my six shooter just as I had always planned. After we had disposed of these terrorists I had them strapped to the hood of the touring cars and driven to headquarters. The General was greatly pleased. Now if only we could do the same to Villa and the rest of these miserable Mexican miscreants.

I am joyfully serving my country but I miss my sweet girl every day that I am away. Please think kindly of me until I return. I think I have increased my standing in the Army immeasurably and I look forward to the many innovations in mechanized warfare in the years ahead. We should wrap this up soon and be home before you know it. Just know that your darling Georgie Boy loves you and I will be home just as soon as I can.

Love always,
George

10 comments:

rcocean said...

Is that really Mrs. George Patton? She was quite a looker.

edutcher said...

Pancho was considered quite the cavalry tactician in his time.

Too bad everybody was paying attention mostly to what was going on in Europe. Too bad also the Centaur of the North was the last of a breed. For all his bluster, Georgie was nothing without internal combustion.

Titus said...

I just experienced a real America weekend in rural Wisconsin. No Ptown, Fire Island or Ogunquit, ME for me.

I went to supper clubs, a memorial day parade with my dad in his Korean War couture, and played lawn games at my parent's farm!

I can totally assimilate too-even with my tight muscle physique, while those around me in Wisconsin are very fat.

I even sang God Bless America while my dad put his hand on my shoulder!

Now I am back in Cambridge, totally not real America.

Trooper York said...

That was her wedding photo. She was indeed hot stuff.

chickelit said...

I went to supper clubs, a memorial day parade with my dad in his Korean War couture, and played lawn games at my parent's farm!

I accidentally put a jart in cousin's foot once in Beloit back in the '60's. Good times.

chickelit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chickelit said...

I'm reading two books about early tanks: "The Devils' Chariots" and "British Mark I Tank 1916."

It's doubtful whether someone of Patton's rank at the time knew much about even the existence of mechanized warfare.

/edutcher

But, you've got the time period exactly right -- May 1916. The tank debuted at the Somme in July of that year. It performed so-so but Lord Kitchner ordered a thousand of them.

My father served in the 3rd Armored Division in Germany during Korea. He had lots of Patton lore. He used to cite that famous remark of Patton's: "My men can eat their belts but my tanks need gas." It inspired both awe and resentment in the troops.

chickelit said...

Sorry, the Somme battle started in July 1916, but the first tanks didn't show until September.

edutcher said...

chickelit said...

I'm reading two books about early tanks: "The Devils' Chariots" and "British Mark I Tank 1916."

It's doubtful whether someone of Patton's rank at the time knew much about even the existence of mechanized warfare.


A professional soldier, especially a horse soldier, was probably aware of what was going on in Europe (Patton did serve in a mechanized unit as early as 1917 and was earlier encouraged by a couple of his superiors to switch to tanks, rather than the infantry) and tanks were first developed in 1915; the US Army had developed an officer corps that was much more advanced than the Indian fighting image we have of the period.

Cambrai and the Somme were the baby steps, but, during the Michael Offensive, the Limeys developed the first real combined arms operation (horse cavalry was still necessary as tanks were too underpowered to exploit a breakthrough).

Too bad the Krauts were the only ones who saw the potentioal

chickelit said...

...and tanks were first developed in 1915

Yes, but under the utmost secrecy, and in Britain. The tank was intended as a surprise weapon. Our own tank technology was a step behind, just as we were with aircraft, relying as we did on British and French machines.