Wednesday, May 4, 2016

It's that time again

My least favorite thing. It isn't necessary when you buy a new car all the time.

I don't drive very much. Now, don't tell anyone this, it is top secret *whispers* I cannot feel the pedals so rely on feedback. I don't do all that poorly but I do scare myself. The old dude that steps on the gas instead of the brake and floors it into the Platte. Floors it into the truck in front of them. Floors it into the farmer's market. That's me. That's my fear.


But it turned out not so bad. Maybe I can reshape my attitude. It was a pleasant drive in the morning and no wait to speak of.

I met three pleasant and talkative Colorado earth babes. And no dudes. The only thing that fat dude did was sit in the truck. 

Last time they told me no photos allowed. But I have the worst time remembering proscriptions precisely. That last time was about a camera. 


"Did it pass?" 

"I don't know yet. It's processing. That's $23.00" 

"Really? I thought it would be $75.00" 

"Ha ha. It passed."

I get in the truck and sit down vastly relieved. There'll be nothing more to it. No fixing something then going back. 

"Thank you, Dad. Again" 

This is his truck. It's been ten years. Among many things, this might be the best thing he gave me.

9 comments:

Trooper York said...

Well he gave you life Chip. Life is good. Don't you think?

Or is that just a cliché?

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I failed one time. Something to do with the exhaust. The car was over the environmental limits, something or other. I took it to the mechanic, paid the mechanic for God knows what, and then it passed. I could have been conned, who the heck knows.

Trooper York said...

Our car failed the inspection once because we didn't put enough miles on it. We only put 48 miles on it in a year. Just moving it from one side of the street to the other to cover alternate side of the street parking.

I had to hire someone to drive it around for a couple of hours to pass.

We got rid of the car right after that.

Uber rules.

ampersand said...

You have to pay for the test? In Illinois we don't, at least not at the inspection site, we probably overpay in some hidden fee somewhere though. One of the preposterous features of the test, cars over 10 years old are exempt from testing.

ricpic said...

Big Red Truck. Big Red Truck. Ya gottsta lookout for duh Big Red Truck.
Heavy foot. Heavy foot. Sometime duh man make dat t'ing RUN AMUCK!

Chip Ahoy said...

I'm such a dunce. My dad and both brother would laugh. Their poor retarded brother. The nice young lady goes, "Pop your hood." I pull every knob except the hood knob, an odd thing behind the steering column . "What year is it?" "I don't know, 85, I think." She takes my registration. "It's on here. It's a 91" I get that wrong every time.

"Oh. Don't you need this registration?"

"Nah. We don't care about that anymore."

The whole point of this is to get the new registration. We do this every two years, I guess. So If I live to a decent 85 then ... oh shit.

The Dude said...

I like that truck, and I especially like the cap. Very nice indeed.

My most recent inspection ran over a grand - dude made up deficiencies and then "fixed" them. Well, hope that was worth it, you just lost yourself the cheapest customer you ever had.

ndspinelli said...

Wisconsin doesn't have annual emission tests. That's so the toothless, cheap, asshole, Cheeseheads can drive 20 year old cars w/ impunity while drinking brandy, eating mayo sandwiches on white bread, and getting blow jobs from their sisters.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Of the 8 vehicles, only two are new enough to have to be smogged the 1979 GMC 1 ton boom truck (hydraulic boom for pulling pumps out of wells) and my 2002 Blazer. Every other vehicle is either older or diesels that are 1982 and none need to be smogged.

The advantage, besides less government intrusion and lowered costs to register and insure, is that other than my Blazer they are not loaded with useless electronic components, computers, fancy doo dads that will inevitably fail. Easy to work on. Generally universal components. Don't require electronic diagnostic devices. Just plain old shade tree mechanic skills. We rent a barn that we converted to a mechanic shop and share it with a friend who is a retired GMC mechanic who has been a gearhead from the 1950's as a kid and now repairs and restores classic cars as a hobby. He services our vehicles and it is a business write-off.

The other insanity about the smog rules is that in our county you must have your vehicles smogged. However, the intersection of 2 other county boundaries occurs near us. So if we lived 5 miles to the east....no smog required. 9 miles north west.....no smog required. I guess there must be some invisible barrier running across the valley and through the mountains where the smog is unable to penetrate. Doh!

Nevermind it's all about the money and not about saving da urth.