Friday, May 27, 2016

"Heimlich uses Heimlich manoeuvre for first time, aged 96"

theguardian: The 96-year-old surgeon credited with developing his namesake Heimlich manoeuvre recently used the emergency technique for the first time himself to save a woman choking on food at his retirement home.
Dr Henry Heimlich told the Cincinnati Enquirer in an interview on Thursday that he has demonstrated the well-known manoeuvre many times through the years but had never before used it on a person who was choking.

Top voted comment... 
Thank you Dr Heimlich. When my son was 5, he entered my room panic stricken, blue in the face whist pointing at his throat. Using this move, a fizz pop (round, candy lollypop) shot across the room shattering against the wall. Quite possibly the scariest moment of my life. He starts university this year...

4 comments:

Methadras said...

Thank you Dr. Heimlich. Used it on my daughter, twice.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I've seen it in the movies, never in real life... Yet.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I think they tought it in school.

MamaM said...

How cool is that! I'm glad he had the honor and delight of being able to use his technique at 96 years of age!! I call that a crowning moment of joy, effectiveness and life affirmation.

MrM used it on me after a piece of the outer casing from a cube of cooked ham he'd been cutting (and I was sampling) became lodged in my throat. I'd gestured in panic to him and sort of pulled his arm around me and held his hand there to push and he knew what to do. The maneuver worked great, and the 1/2 inch cube of casing was expelled with enough force to fly out, but I still can still recall how quickly it happened and the fear I felt at not being able to breath or help myself.

When I used it, and she recovered quickly,” he said, “it made me appreciate how wonderful it has been to be able to save all those lives Wonderful indeed!

Thank you, Dr Heimlich.