Saturday, May 21, 2016

backward walking champion

I turned the corner coming out of the elevator on my floor to encounter a boy walking briskly backward and behind the boy facing me a linebacker. The boy will crash into me.

"beep beep"

The boy spun around and froze in his tracks staring up at me stopped mute apparently horrified. The linebacker and I exchange pleasantries. The boy looks on.  I think that I might be the white man the boy is warned about. It's a guess. I don't know. He behaves that way. I sense they warn the boy about people like me to keep him behaved because he freezes mute like that whenever he sees me. I always interrupt a good time.

Now we cannot have that. 



That walking backward really is impressive. That takes a good deal of skill. I cannot do it myself. Walking backward is my worst physical feat now it takes an insane amount of concentration. That was very good show-off-y practice that I interrupted.

6 comments:

ndspinelli said...

Defensive backs can run backwards faster than many people can run frontwards. Just as impressive is how fast hockey players can skate backwards.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Reading your short story i thought of the opening of Paris Texas (1984) at the end of which another video about Paris Texas (1984) pops up hinting i should watch.

Film maker Sam Mendes on Paris, Texas. The film apparently influenced him tremendously.

Could that scene be better had that guy walked backwards?

It would have been impossible in the desert.

So, why did that come up?

I probably wont know until sometime tomorrow.

By knowing I could mean I will have figure something out, when I'm not trying.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Speaking of not trying. The guys in the booth told an interesting story about Big Papi and what happened or more specifically not happened in the offseason.

The Red Sox hitting coach Chilly Davis told Big Papi, in ways that only someone of the stature of Chilly Davis could ask Big Papi "not to pick up a bat in the off season". Do your workout regimen to stay in shape, like you always do, but dont pick up a bat. And by golly, Big Papi is having one of the best start of the season in what he says is his last season.

Funny how the mind works.

rhhardin said...

There's a syndrome where you can only walk backwards. I have no idea what it's called. Google offers too many choices.

ndspinelli said...

Someone else told Big Papi how to use PED's and not get detected.

ndspinelli said...

The same guy who told Daniel Murphy and Jake Arrietta. We'll be seeing this chemist/trainers name in the police blogs soon.