Monday, April 25, 2016

Trump says he doesn't want to be boring. Are we bored?

It amazes me when people proclaim that they are bored. Actually, it amazes me that I am ever bored, or that any of us are. With so much to occupy us these days, boredom should be a relic of a bygone age – an age devoid of the internet, social media, multi-channel TV, 24-hour shopping, multiplex cinemas, game consoles, texting and whatever other myriad possibilities are available these days to entertain us.
Yet despite the plethora of high-intensity entertainment constantly at our disposal, we are still bored. Up to half of us are “often bored” at home or at school, while more than two- thirds of us are chronically bored at work. We are bored by paperwork, by the commute and by dull meetings. TV is boring, as is Facebook and other social media. We spend our weekends at dull parties, watching tedious films or listening to our spouses drone on about their day. Our kids are bored – bored of school, of homework and even of school holidays.
There are a number of explanations for our ennui. This, in fact, is part of the problem – we are overstimulated. The more entertained we are the more entertainment we need in order to feel satisfied . The more we fill our world with fast-moving, high-intensity, ever-changing stimulation, the more we get used to that and the less tolerant we become of lower levels.
Thus slower-paced activities, such as reading reports, sitting in meetings, attending lectures or studying for exams, bore us because we are accustomed to faster-paced amusements.
At a rally in Waterbury, Connecticut, earlier Saturday, Trump joked about how it's easy to be presidential, making a series of faux somber faces. But he said told the crowd he can be serious and policy-minded when he has to be.
"When I'm out here talking to you people, I've got to be different," Trump said.

11 comments:

chickelit said...

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity."

~Attributed to both Dorothy Parker and Ellen Parr.

edutcher said...

I like the guy.

He's honest.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I like that quote Chick. I don't think I heard it before.

Steg said...

I say only boring people get bored.

Amartel said...

Some things are boring and it's okay to point that out but when everything is boring after 10 seconds then you're the bore. It's like if everyone you meet is an asshole then you're the asshole.

Chip Ahoy said...

Unpossible.

Say through work you find yourself stuck listening to a perfect drag that bores, literally bores by boring like an auger with diamond cutters slowly grinding a tunnel through a mountain. And you're sitting there unable to follow their grinding channel that slowly. It's like you trying to walk a mile with me at my pace, you cannot do it that slowly so you take little zig-zag and then start doing circles around me then walk backwards to face me while I walk forward, or race ahead and take pictures of the upcoming scenery then race back behind me to see my footprints and eventually end the same time, basically behave as a sheepdog eliminating boredom by natural behavior.

In my case I think what they're saying looks like when signed, putting their words into the signs and systems that I know and they' suddenly become ten times more interesting because they're using words not of my choosing.

I change all that to Spanish and go through flipping things around and selecting different words for them and imagine that printed in OAS. And visualize their stupid shit on a wall painted in hieroglyphics. I dream what they're saying changed up to fit. I try to get a vignette out of it so the whole thing can be one picture. I try animate the picture, try to visualize making that scene into a pop-up in paper. I try arranging their boring ass words into a theme and choose good ones for a crossword.

This subject is foreign.

I can think of every single step I take, analyze every single step such that it becomes meditation, and if the neighborhood is also quiet, then birds come walk with me. It happened. Pigeons walked underfoot for a block pecking away at the sidewalk as we went together, like I'm St. Francis of Assy Assy or something.

ricpic said...

"I say only boring people get bored."

Everyone gets bored. Boredom is an inescapable part of life. It may even be that boredom serves a purpose. What purpose? Excruciating boredom may be the necessary spur to impel a change of life. Boredom - like a run of blah grey days - makes joy - like a day of fair weather - that much more joyful or special when it arrives. But even if boredom serves no purpose, has no function, it is still inescapable and must be borne.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

It may even be that boredom serves a purpose. What purpose?

It provides the reason and excuse for a really great afternoon nap.

Steg said...

I mean- only boring people cannot imagine up activities to fill their time with.

I like this particular sweeping generalization.

I don't think I'm ever bored- in the sense that I just simply don't know what to do with my hours.

Sure- I will concede everyone grows tired of an activity at some point and wants change. I know I'll get 'bored' of practicing a particular instrument, and put it down for some length of time while I focus on a different one. I suppose one of the reasons for boredom could be so that you procure a varied skill set by realizing you have done as much as you can on one particular activity.

Trooper York said...

I am also never bored. I always have a million things to do. Activity is the cure for boredom.

Only boring people get bored.

Trooper York said...

Well except for Melania.

When she gets bored it is never boring if you know what I mean....wink, wink, nudge,nudge.