Wednesday, March 9, 2016

"People who traveled the world..."

What did you choose not to say about a country you visited to keep the story positive?  

Reddit top voted comments... 
When I fell down a flight of stairs in Hungary and broke my back not a single person stopped to help me while I screamed in pain.
While staying in a hostel near Switzerland a girl started getting sexually assaulted in the room connecting to mine ("stop/no/it's my body"). I wrestled with what to do until I went out and knocked on the door. A guy answers and I asked him wtf was going on. We started yelling at each other until someone came and got him. Later the girl thanked me but that really put a damper on the trip for a few days.
Bosnia is full of trash. I love that country, but damn, is it littered. If you're hiking in the countryside and you see a small lovely path, don't take it, it leads to a dump. Almost every village has one.
When my father came back from a business trip in China, he had a broken leg. He told us that he had slipped on some stairs.
It was only many years later that I found out the Chinese military police had thrown him off a bridge and left him for dead.
He was part of an arbitration team that had been brought in on a legal case against the government for negligence. I don't know why he kept it secret from us for so long, but it certainly changed the way I saw China.

7 comments:

ricpic said...

The toilets in a lot of European countries are nothing but holes in the ground. Screw squatting and screw all those countries (France, Spain, Italy to name three).

edutcher said...

It's called a Turkish toilet, a remnant of the days when the Moslems held a good bit of southern Europe.

I guess that's one thing the Euros will be used to as the Moslems take over.

Chip Ahoy said...

Tray whore eBlay.

john said...

If it's just a hole in the ground, I'd sure rather squat than sit.

Leland said...

Actually, we typically tell it like it is. For instance, Jamaica is a nice place to visit, but go more than a mile inland, and you'll see it as the third world it is. Then there is Roatan, where I still remember driving by a video game story with a man outside holding a shotgun to prevent theft. And while everyone decries capitalism, one of the nicest places I visited is Cayman. Considering it has fewer resources and far less land then either Jamaica or Roatan, it's amazing what they were able to accomplish in comparison. Alas, all we hear about is how Sweden supposedly has it together.

Methadras said...

There is only one place in India that is worth going to and that's Goa. The rest of India is a giant 8th world open toilet. If you can avoid going there do so. It's not worth it. Also Brazil, just a literally a city of rampant crime, but if you can brave through all of that to get to some it's famous beaches to stare at young Brazilian ass, then you're on your own.

Amartel said...

The military presence is (or may be used to be) more obvious abroad than in the U.S. Got off the plane in Greece and there was a tank (at first I thought it was a memorial; nope, real) right there at the airport with guys in the tank at least pretending to be ready for action. Also, military guys with weapons and steely looks at the Eiffel Tower. The kids got bored with the tower pretty quickly but were fascinated with the guys and their weapons. Followed them around like puppies.

Also plane between Athens and Corfu - NO SEATBELTS. It was like riding a very turbulent schoolbus. Ehrmahgehrd. And there was a LOT of turbulence. Looser standards generally re: air travel abroad. I recall a particularly perilous puddle hop in Costa Rica. Taking off into a thunder storm wondering whether there would be anything left of me to transport back to the States.

Word re: Jamaica though I'd tag it at much less than a mile. Also, the drivers are insane, or possibly really really stoned.