Sunday, March 6, 2016

J vocabulary words

Words beginning with J encountered online. I don't care for this group. It is a tiny group. And I already knew jejune and jihadism and jocund. I don't even know why I looked them up again. Maybe my other self did it or maybe I'm a somnambulist and don't' know it. Maybe I was as baked that day as Chris Martin is in this carpool karaoke video. And the remaining words are not useful.

* janisary A member of a group of elite, highly loyal supporters. A soldier in an elite Turkish guard organized in the 14th century and abolished in 1826.

* jejune lacking nutritive value, devoid of significance or interest : dull <jejune lectures>, juvenile, puerile <jejune reflections on life and art> synonyms see insipid

* jiggery pokery and Chinese burns Underhanded games School games

* jihhadism someone said: Since 622, AD 1388 years. Charles Martell Battle of Toures 732, Constainople  Istanbul   1453, Venician Fleet La Pontu 1571, Germanic Austria Knights Gates of Vienna  1683, Koran, Sura, Hadith, This is not a perversion, they are doing exactly what this book says

* jobsworth a person who uses their job description in a deliberately uncooperative way, or who seemingly delights in acting in an obstructive or unhelpful manner. Phrases such as "that's not my department", "that's not in my job description", and "that's not my job" roughly reflect the attitude of a person to whom the term applies.

* Jocund Sprightly and lighthearted in disposition, character, or quality.

* JV team also JayVee Team, Junior Varsity Team, The player is junior, not the school., Varsity means school team. Not just school. Not another word for university., Junior varsity is the second string players.

[Iincidentally, hieroglyphic J is more interesting. That sound is drawn as a snake. The best kind of snake that droops over and down the whole side. It's a letter that demands all the area and leaves empty space as if outlining the top corner of an empty square. It's cool because it's a snake. It's considered a "dj" sound.]

[Incidentally, an ASL J is different from other letters in that the hand configuration is flicked. J is an I, extended pinkie finger that is flicked, or scooped to form the shape. So it really sticks out by not being fixed in place.]

5 comments:

edutcher said...

Knew most of them although jobsworth, I'm betting, is quite new.

Jim in St Louis said...

I did the better on J words than any others! Never heard jobsworth used.

Lettuce seedlings are up!, Radishes are up! Jonquils are up! Crocus- up! Everybody up!

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Jobsworth was unknown to me yet it's significance was known all too well. Not my job was catch phrase when in conversation or telling a joke or when someone who was lower in the chain of command was asking for something in the wrong way. Not my job.

ricpic said...

Jocund is a great word that I have never heard spoken. Written yes but spoken never. Why? Probably because those who know the word think they would be thought of as affected if they threw it into a conversation. Cowards!

rhhardin said...


PUERILE ... 2. I'd like to see ... [an] experiment in which callers describe the [TV] show just seen in three adjectives. Within reason, of course. ("We have a Mr. Buckley here who finds Laverne and Shirley EGREGIOUS, PUERILE, and JEJUNE"). (D. Cavett, of NEA, "Television `Wasteland' Revisited," Norman [Okla.] Transcript, 6/23/76, p.6)

- The Quintessential Dictionary, example