Thursday, March 3, 2016

Carpool Karaoke, James Corden picks up Sia

Please enjoy this as much as I do.



Sure hope this shows because I'm going to be really bummed if it doesn't

They are flat out yelling in the car. 

I don't know who this guy is, a late night host. I'm up late night, I should know, but I don't. One of the comments to this video on YouTube repeats a remark spreading across excellent videos, "Well, I was a fan. Now I'm an air conditioner." I feel the same way. And this man, James Corden is clearly a true fan too. These two together are perfect. 

I'm practicing Chandelier. Most dictionaries don't have the word. I have two ways to do the word and one of the ways is graphically beautiful and fits the song perfectly. I just realized it's about a girl cycling through alcoholism and drug addiction as self-medicating. I'm working out the lyrics and how to express them, deciding which portions to drop or act out. I cannot express how impressed I am with James' grasp of Sia's full catalog. Word for word, every song of hers, every vocal inflection. I'm sitting here watching them thinking with some degree of jealousy, "This sonofbitch has every single song of hers nailed!" I can only hope to do as well, not sing them, show them. 

It goes without saying that Sia blows me away as person and entertainer. She is so sweet, so silly, so easily given to play, and so talented on top of everything. Now that I'm into them, I can see her cracking out these songs, lyrics, melodies, transitions in minutes. The songs that I've studied are all simple, straightforward, and repetitive that drive a single thought. It's how James mastered them all so thoroughly and so quickly. This video has 24 million views, the music was not old when this video was made. I think she's doffed the mask by now, I'm not sure. I kind of like it. It's a silly trick and it worked very well for her. 

I've sang with women for passengers in cars while driving and still do and although very fun nothing so close to 1/10 good as this. I'm jealous. And I guess I'm just not near the fan that James Corden is. This right here is serious dedication and real authentic love.  

ASL "chandelier" [type: chandelier, choose U.S. flag] two sign ligature, the first sign is "glass." 

Another way for "chandelier", less useful for song, is another 2 sign ligature, "fine" +"light" as tinkling a bell

4 comments:

john said...

Great clip Chip, thanks.

But aren't they supposed to be going for coffee?

deborah said...

Sweet vid. This the 'new' music, or at least one of many. It goes in the class of Katie Perry's Firework, I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGJuMBdaqIw

And during the first song they sang, this song popped in my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vtKi6WiDB8

Titus said...

I love Sia and Grimes and Halsey and Years and Years.

I get an amazing pump at the gym working out to them!

Amartel said...

She does have a really good voice, catchy tune (although it's hard to say what the lyrics are, it's all emotional warbling), and a good schtick with the anonymizing get eye-catching hairdo.