Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Trump not catering to NH campaigning traditions

"And while Christie has seemingly taken up residence in New Hampshire, Trump has stopped in the state for just 23 events, a strikingly low number.

The Trump campaign attributes the large venues to demand and enthusiasm from his supporters.

But Trump is a known germaphobe who dislikes shaking hands, which might be another reason he’s avoided the diner appearances that are a staple of New Hampshire politics.

In any event, none of this has hurt him in the state, at least so far."

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/264407-trump-defies-early-state-traditions

8 comments:

ricpic said...

Why don't the primaries start with New York, California, Texas, Illinois, Michigan, Florida, Virginia, Colorado, Ohio instead of marginal Iowa and New Hampshire. Okay, not marginal but unrepresentative compared to the big cahuna states. Big Cahuna just popped into my head so I went with it, 'kay? 'KAY?!

deborah said...

Okay!

Tradition, I guess. Like Pauxatawny Pete(?), largely irrelevant, but cozy? Haven't they changed the rest of the calendar a bit? I think it should be on a rotation basis, through all the states.

edutcher said...

He's shaking up the way things are done and that's probably a good thing.

We'll see how well it works.

ricpic said...

Why don't the primaries start with New York, California, Texas, Illinois, Michigan, Florida, Virginia, Colorado, Ohio instead of marginal Iowa and New Hampshire

You forgot PA.

I assume somebody's getting paid because it's always puzzled me. And I go back to when almost all of those were red states.

PS Pauxatawny Phil, dear.

deborah said...

Well, it's a miracle spelled Pauxatawny correctly...just didn't feel like checking :)

Amartel said...

Punxsatawney?

rcocean said...

NH and Iowa are supposed to give candidates without the big bucks a chance. Starting in a big state would mean the candidates with large media buys would win because retail politics is impossible.

AllenS said...

I've wondered about that, and I think that rc just gave the reason. I agree.

deborah said...

I concur, sounds logical.

Punxsutawney!