Tuesday, December 22, 2015

"Intelligence genes discovered by scientists"

The Telegraph: They liken the gene network to a football team. When all the players are in the right positions, the brain appears to function optimally, leading to clarity of thought and what we think of as quickness or cleverness.


However when the genes are mutated or in the wrong order, it can lead to dullness of thinking, or even serious cognitive impairments.
Scientists believe that there must be a ‘master switch’ regulating the networks and if they could find it, they could ‘switch on’ intelligence for everyone.
“We know that genetics plays a major role in intelligence but until now haven’t known which genes are relevant,” said Dr Michael Johnson, lead author of the study from the Department of Medicine at Imperial College.
“This research highlights some of genes involved in human intelligence, and how they interact with each other.
“What’s exciting about this is that the genes we have found are likely to share a common regulation, which means that potentially we can manipulate a whole set of genes whose activity is linked to human intelligence.
“Our research suggests that it might be possible to work with these genes to modify intelligence, but that is only a theoretical possibility at the moment – we have just taken a first step along that road.”

2 comments:

ricpic said...

"Is this live?"

Ha ha. The guy reacts spontaneously, immediately is anxious about being seen unedited.

Chip Ahoy said...

Speaking of jeans I started washing my clothes on those other washing cycles that seem so mysterious. You know, by way of experimentation. Do the jeans really need to be washed on cotton setting just because they're cotton and that seems most reasonable? I'm trying delicate cycle, and handwash cycle, and bulk cycle, and baby clothes cycle to see what happens. This is important because they're dyed. And that's important because I died them. Some of them. I want to protect the colors.

Speaking of laundry I have a new favorite shirt. It's favorite because random strangers come up from behind and say, "Nice shirt." It happened again yesterday.

Here's the dealio, Emilio.

It's a black cotton long sleeve T.

I nicked a photo a stone falcon, Horus. And a photo of monumental Ramses.

Tried to match the color, tones as much as possible.

Rameses on front, falcon on back. They're seeing the falcon. I think.

I forget I'm wearing the shirt. It takes me a moment to realize what they are remarking on. Not Ramses, a falcon. They like it. "Thanks" comes out automatically, then I realize it's a falcon back there and, "It done a good job of protecting me... pause... from attacking blue jays and pigeons."

These shirt-related remarks in public are unusual.

Did I do such a great job? No. I just picked what I like that I never see out there. The sort of thing where you go, "why don't they make one like ____" then do it. For yourself. But when you're wearing it, really for everyone else.

So while the public at large is grooving on my black long sleeved Ramses T I cannot stop thinking about the Too Many Zooz logo or album covers are quite good, the few that I saw were done by enthralled fans it looks like to me, and I like them a lot. They mentioned "merch" in the London video and I looked for Ts and merchandise but did not find any. And that means back to to VistaPrint or some other and avail their services. Work the logo how I like it on some garment of my choice, and not settle for what I can find already done.

It's a new world. I looked back to my account there for the photos, this thing is $26.00, that seems like a lot, but I did get exactly what I wanted.

Front.

I cannot see it when I wear it, so the pictures are not for me to see. They're for you. This is what I'll have you see. But I don't see it. That's the thing about shirts.

A bit paradoxical there innit.

Unless you're looking into reflective surfaces a lot.

And that was so last year, decade, millennia.

Now it is this.

Or this.