Thursday, December 10, 2015

A Polarized View

All of this talk of Trump and Hillary reminded me of a conversation I had years ago -- mostly with myself, but originally posted here. It even fits with Shouting Thomas's "Big D vs Big C" theory (Big DC?). In the following scheme, think of Trump as one pole and Hillary as the other:
The polarized ends of the spectrum are actually surrounded by smaller, oppositely charged entities:
A coterie of independent detractors surrounds each extreme. They serve an important purpose: they neutralize some of the raw charge of the extreme. They also prevent direct and destructive collisions and arcing between the polarized ends. They are part of free speech and they ultimately help to unbend the spectrum, to relax it back to a more linear shape.
 Where do you lie along the continuum connecting the extremes?

6 comments:

bagoh20 said...

I'm not that kind of intellectual.

Titus said...

I just did a Tufts undergrad from Sacramento and feel guilty. I am too old to do a 20 year old. But I have a hot young body.

chickelit said...

@Titus: On the continuum connecting the extremes, I'd say you're a pederast bordering on pedophile.

William said...

Hillary lies at every point on the continuum.

chickelit said...

@William: Nice!

Chip Ahoy said...

You can stroke that magnet and align all those little ions. You can strengthen a flagging magnet, you can magnetize objects by stroking them.

See? It's all so filthy, you pervs.

I had a magnetic strip to hold knives for my last apartment with insufficient space. A girlfriend at the time disliked it. I could tell by her peeping about it, peep peep peep type indications having to do with fung shway. It made the tiny kitchen take the appearance of an armory and that bugged her, out of balance, not right. Isn't that sweet? My dad objected because of the hazard, straight off its bad for children, he's always thinking of that, and then of the the knives becoming magnetized. "But, but, your knives will become magnetized!" He fretted worryingly with furrowed brow and strained quizzical expression.

I looked at my brother James and said, "How terrible." And how we laughed and laughed out loud right there at my dad because that is just piss your pants funny. See how funny that is? His own tools are magnetized to make them even more useful for grabbing and holding little screws and such. He taught us that.

I have to agree with the girlfriend. The knives just look dangerous, ready to kill somebody. Never let tempers rise. That thing sure was convenient though for washing and keeping them sharp, but it had to go so it did, to Goodwill, just now in fact. And as I held it in my hand with its little screws in their packet, I thought, "you are one solidly good strong magnet, just look at you grabbing things and these small things sticking to you." stroke stroke stroke.

Now the knives have their own drawer and their wooden box with cork separators to keep the blades from hitting each other.