Friday, November 20, 2015

There's a storm coming, our storm.

They say if you don't like like the weather in Colorado then screw you, move somewhere else. Hang on.

Sorry, they don't say that, they say something else, but that other thing accidentally came out.

The little storm comes in from the North and the West, it is seen overtaking the foothills. It blusters right up to the town, does a little pixie dump and blows off, like, psych!







Time-lapse can be done with i-phone and android too. There are a number of apps that use phone video rather than snapshots from the phone's camera. Different apps have varying degrees of camera controls, if the phone allows them. It's a different principle than these gifs.

Now I'm noticing time-lapse on television shows all over the place. It's interesting, I think, the crew goes out on location and one of the camera people sets up and allows the camera to sit there and record the clouds because out there the clouds and sunsets just blow everybody away, it happens to everyone, and they want to share what they see so we're given the sequences of hours compressed into seconds tossed into stories about Louisiana gators and Alaskan living, and fat blokes in the wilderness, pawn stars and and junk refurbishers, elaborate outdoor pool constructors, aquarium builders, like extra little goodies for no reason except natural awe with location.  

7 comments:

edutcher said...

It's going to hit us, too.

chickelit said...

Man, your animations starring clouds are getting better and better. Last summer in Hawaii, I saw what I wish I could have recorded but didn't. So I'll have to describe it.

We were staying at relatively high elevation (5,000 ft) on the west coast of the Big Island. We had an unobstructed view of the ocean which was about 30 miles away. It was late in the afternoon and we had returned from the east side of the island where our plans were rained out. Those familiar with the island know that the weather can change completely crossing the saddle point on what is called the saddle road. Sure enough, we found clear weather on the other side of the island.

Looking directly west and into the sun, there was clear weather. But looking northwest and then southwest, I saw wisps of clouds emerging from around the island. They were part of the bad weather behind us and had simply lagged behind us. But instead of the clouds coming overhead, they rounded the island simultaneously at lower elevation, hugging the coastline. I watched this for some time -- long enough to notice that they were continually fed from behind and were not isolated clouds. As I said, the the clouds did not continue west but curved around the coastline before me. I thought, "they are going to rejoin and become a single unbroken ring around the island.

I kept watching as the the two arms approached each other before me in the distance. I thought "they are going to collide soon." But instead of colliding, they interleaved. The northern arm went slightly but seamlessly further offshore than the southern arm. The two arms kept moving past each other. I was high enough in elevation to see some space between the two arms. From an airplane it must have looked like a spiral.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

They say if you don't like like the weather in Colorado then screw you, move somewhere else.

LOL!

I know. I hope all ingrates who moved here for pot and pot alone are freezing their nutz off.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

It's 14 degrees out.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Meanwhile, here in NE Calif we are unusually warm, clear skies and DRY. It is going to be 60 + degrees this afternoon when we normally have high temps of 32 to 36 this time of year and lows of 10 or even 0 at night being the norm. It has even hit -20 at night in the past. A bit too cold for my liking...or the cats either :-) We would LOVE to get some snow!!! We NEED to get some snow.

And....it may be so....according to the weather report on Tuesday...snow blessed snow and normal temps.

Until then, I guess, I'll sit on the deck in the warm afternoon sun and enjoy a glass of wine and think about you guys....(I'm a mean woman)

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

I've made peace with winter. It's fun at first. By the time Feb rolls around, however, I'm sick of it. Right now it's all good.

I'm more jealous of your pantry, DBQ.

bagoh20 said...

It's gonna be a nice warm weekend here in L.A. High today will be 82 at the beach. Plenty of snow in the mountains though for skiing in the sun. Awesome!