Sunday, November 29, 2015

KLEM FM

This song was on heavy turntable rotation at my house as a teen. I used to love to play along on drums.
Overheard at Bloomberg (in a story about Karl Rove):
Former New Hampshire Republican Party Chairman Fergus Cullen unsuccessfully challenged Trump's eligibility to participate in the state's first-in-the-nation primary. 'Everyone benefits from his demise but everyone wants someone else to do it,' Cullen lamented, saying the front-runner could damage Republicans among minorities and women, potentially for many years.
The obvious retort is what about candidates who do damage to whites and men? Why is that not freely admitted and talked about?

Song lyrics (in English) after the jump

I've been to London, seen seven wonders. I know to trip is just to fall
I used to rock it, sometimes I'd roll it. I always knew what it was for. 

There can be no denyin' that the wind 'll shake 'em down 
And the flat world's flyin'. There's a new plague on the land 

If we could just join hands...

Traversed the planet when heaven sent me. I saw the kings who rule them all 
Still by the firelight and purple moonlight. I hear the rested rivers call 
And the wind is crying, from a love that won't grow cold 
My lover, she is lying, on the dark side of the globe 

If we could just join hands...

You got me rockin' when I ought to be a-rollin' 
Darlin', tell me, darlin', which way to go 
You keep me rockin', baby, then you keep me stolen 
Won't you tell me, darlin', which way to go... that's right 

Oh how I wonder, oh how I worry and I would dearly like to know 
I've all this wonder of earthly plunder will it leave us anything to show 

And our time is flyin' see the candle burnin' low 
Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old 

If we could just join hands...

5 comments:

chickelit said...

There appear to be some egregious errors in the lyrics I cut and pasted. I'm going to try and fix them.

Chip Ahoy said...

Don't you hate that? It goes well beyond mere Mondegreens. Yesterday I was practicing on full volume i-tunes in one window lyrics in another all volumes set to full and windows sized going along fine and boom entire stanza omitted. This was ezlyrics.

Cough Syrup, I know, strange title. Even more strange signing that whole phrase in the lyrics, but that's another separate difficulty.

The omitted lines have a repeated word "restore" that poses a problem.

Think for a second what "restore" even means. It's used this way, "run to the things they said could restore me, restore my life the way it should be."

Incidentally, this is the third song in a current group of practice songs that makes the same "show me the way" plea, and suggests running or turning away or both. I noticed this because my arms are flapping around saying it.

If I could find a way to see this straight, I'd run away to some fortune that eye eye should have found by now ow ow. To be precise about what I'm hearing but you get how all that is sorted.

There is no "restore"

There is "health." That is the sign to use.
Same sign, same signal as "vigor," "vitality," "hero," "inner fortitude,"pillar of inner strength," "top dog of the pack," "me so powerful," "brutish fellow" and the like, all the same signal, that's how those ideas that are clearly separate in English cluster in sign, the difference is syntax and how the signal is performed. The bit of acting that delivers it. Then "health" will make sense in place of "restore" when you see it.

But nothing for the precise word restore.

"Fail" is a person skidding across the palm of your other hand. So, "restore" can be easily understood as "fail" stood back up on two feet on the same palm of your hand. [fail + little person back up] You can just see this, right? And it makes sense, right? Now, that's how I roll all the time just making shit up IRL It's what makes my expression idiosyncratic and technically unacceptable. I guess.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I should be back home this afternoon.

Thanks for keeping the posts going while I've been away.

I'm Full of Soup said...

Someone should write a book called "What if everything we think is true is wrong".... For instance:
1-Our school students test scores are bad because we are admitting 3rd World immigrants on a large scale. So schools don't need more money they need better quality students.
2- Climate change / Global warming is a crock IO"look squirrel".
3- There is no social security trust fund. They spent the money ten times over.
4- We already spend plenty of money on infrastructure. We just spend it poorly and waste plenty of it. Just watch the next big project ribbon cutting and ask why we need about 50 muckety muck pols and bureaucrats in the photo op.
5- This is the most tolerant country in the country. Family value voters bend over backward to tolerate growing liberal lunacy re gays, transgenders, micro agreesions, etc.
6- This is the greatest country still. Even a hater like Obama would have to say he is glad he is from America.
7- We don't owe the world a single thing!

AllenS said...

Well said, AJ.