Friday, November 20, 2015

James Woolsey wants Snowden hanged

"A former CIA director [1993-1995] says leaker Edward Snowden should be convicted of treason and given the death penalty in the wake of the terrorist attack on Paris.

“It’s still a capital crime, and I would give him the death sentence, and I would prefer to see him hanged by the neck until he’s dead, rather than merely electrocuted,” James Woolsey told CNN’s Brooke Baldwin on Thursday.

Woolsey said Snowden, who divulged classified in 2013, is partly responsible for the terrorist attack in France last week that left at least 120 dead and hundreds injured.

“I think the blood of a lot of these French young people is on his hands,” he said."

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/260817-ex-cia-director-snowden-should-be-hanged-for-paris

-------------------

How strange that Snowden found asylum in Russia, and that  Russia and France are now allied against ISIS.

6 comments:

bagoh20 said...

I don't find this issue easy. I hate government intrusion as much as anybody, and I truly value my privacy. What the government was up to needed to be known by the citizens, but what Snowden did was clearly illegal, serious, and certainly has cost people their lives, and will into the future. I believe the crime he committed is punishable by death for obvious reasons. I'm pretty sure he knew that and decided to risk it anyway, so...

That said, I'd prefer that he get in line behind the hundreds of convicted murderers we are currently supporting who have zero mitigating aspects to their crimes, and who had nothing but homicide and cruelty as their goals.

edutcher said...

Hanging is seen as a dishonorable death.

Nicely put.

Methadras said...

What Snowden did was clearly illegal if not borderline treasonous. However, given that, he shined the light on what was going on behind the curtains. I'd rather deal with that and let him live in the hell he is in now, then still being in the dark. My liberty and freedom matter to me more than the statecraft that my government engages in.

Known Unknown said...

Snowden is a hero to many Americans.

The current CIA director lied during testimony to the American people about the NSA's warrantless search capabilities.

But you won't see him hanged.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

What does snowden have to do with it?

I smell another scapegoat. whenever government fails- they find a scapegoat.

Or am I wrong here?

deborah said...

It's going to be interesting o see the tech companies wrangle with the Feds over releasing info. The recent article I posted said that if the govt can get in the servers, so can a hacker.

The group Anonymous is very interesting. They're a group of super IT hackers that have been reporting ISIS Twitter accounts and getting them deleted. It's the playing out of Good vs. Evil on the intertubes. And I guess Anonymous isn't good all the time. Interesting times :)

Now, gang o' mine, I must check out for a few days...