Saturday, October 3, 2015

“White Friends, Pay For My Therapy”

"An Oregon woman has raised nearly $1,500 to pay for illnesses she claims were brought on by being an Asian-American living in a predominantly white city."
“I grew up in and live in the [Portland] area. The stress of living as a Thai-Cambodian woman in such a white city replete with constant interpersonal and institutional racism has a big toll on my health and wellbeing,” according to the YouCaring posting by Rinna Rem.
Rem claims to be 29 and suffering from depression and the connective-tissue disorder Marfan syndrome.
“I’m 29 and really tired,” she wrote. “I want to live a healthy, happy life. I want to have a healthy, happy family in the future too. Help me pay for therapy to deal with the stress of racism. Please don’t let racism shorten my life or kill me.”
Why not move? If living there is so detrimental?

6 comments:

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

I thought Portlandia was filled with tolerant libs?

ricpic said...

From my experience the woman's complaint is completely justified. As long as it's understood that being stressed by "the other" applies as well to whites surrounded by orientals/hispanics/blacks.

Dad Bones said...

Can't help you, Rinna. I'd rather give money to the Thai woman who puts out a nice buffet at the mall and who gets along with white people even better than I do.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

As long as it's understood that being stressed by "the other" applies as well to whites surrounded by orientals/hispanics/blacks.

Not to sound cliche... but it is a two way street out there.

Tank said...

Portland?

WTF?

Really?

rcocean said...

Sure, I'll give you money - how much does a ticket back to Thailand cost?