Sunday, October 18, 2015

KLEM FM


I love the sound of the pedal steel guitar.

The lyrics are crystal-clear and need no transcription. I'm surprised that the song didn't chart well at the time of its release (1992). Instead, "War Of Man" did better. Neil Young is at his best when he sings about things he loves rather than about what he hates, like war. The temptation to moralize gets the best of him as it does me.

The video shifts backwards in time about mid-way through, as if Mr. Young were reliving a younger version of himself and his wife. One benefit of growing old with the same person is that you can remember younger days together.

Question for the audience: Linda Ronstadt sang backing vocals on this track...is that her in the video?

I'm a little late with this post...I should have posted it under the eclipsed harvest moon a couple weeks ago. Oh well, it's a lovely song and there will be other Harvest Moons.

8 comments:

deborah said...

A sweet song. I'm familiar with the album cover name, but I don't recall ever hearing the song.

ndspinelli said...

I lived w/ 2 Dead Heads my Jr. year and a Neil Young addict my Sr. year. It took me a decade to be able to appreciate both, after being overwhelmed w/ their music daily for a school year. I'm as certain as I can be that's not Guv Moonbeam's old squeeze on the video.

Unlike many people here, and elsewhere, I can put aside someones politics. I like Young's music and respect how he has overcome much personal tragedy in his life, raising money and creating a school for kids w/ cerebral palsy, quietly and w/ love. He has 2 disabled kids. He also came back from a near fatal brain aneurysm about 10 years ago. Trump likes his music, the feeling is not reciprocated.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

It's a pleasing simple song.

chickelit said...

deborah said...
A sweet song. I'm familiar with the album cover name, but I don't recall ever hearing the song.

I only have this single from the album. I had never heard "War Of Man" until I wiki searched this blog post. I assume it's Young's reaction to the First Gulf War.

Harvest Moon is considered to be an echo or sequel to his earlier album called Harvest.

chickelit said...

I'm as certain as I can be that's not Guv Moonbeam's old squeeze on the video.

To be clear, I'm not talking about the blonde Young is dancing with -- I'm talking about one of the women singing backup who get a momentary close up. The one on the right in particular.

chickelit said...

I have a feeling that none of the people in that video are "extras" and that each one is person from Young's past.

ndspinelli said...

chick, That's who I was looking at, the backup singers. I agree w/ you about personal connections w/ the actors and I bet that's his wife as his dance partner.

chickelit said...

Young's "Harvest" album prominently showed what looks like the sun on the cover.

"Harvest Moon" is a reflection of that earlier album. I'll bet that symbolism was deliberate too.