Sunday, October 11, 2015

Denver weather forecast


Earlier a wise commenter asked if I brought in the coleus when the weather turns and I thought, wow, that's really a wise question. I hadn't done this before. Hadn't planned it. They were purchased for the season in mind. There are some plants I would like to bring in and try to save at least for awhile. I'm ready to bring them in. I keep waiting for the  best time. I'm ready to bust a move but I still want them out there for maximum direct sunlight. It's been like this for weeks except highs in 85℉ range with lows bottoming at 45℉.  I discovered 45℉ this dry for a few hours at night does not harm anything. Although it feels quite cold with the door wide open. The very last day will undoubtedly be emergency. This warm streak is not spoken of around here as anything unusual but watching so closely it seems that it is and it will all end suddenly killing everything at once. 

2 comments:

Christy said...

Coleus leaves, with stems, are very easy to water root in a glass and plant in regular potting soil. Mother used coleus as a houseplant, and we had them everywhere as anytime a kid knocked a bit off (natural pruning,) it was rooted and potted up. Doesn't need much Sun.

I'm thinking that an elevated balcony has its own micro-climate, not reflected closely by airport temps. You'll figure out what works.

deborah said...

Last winter for the first time I put potted geraniums into the basement till spring. Watered them very sparingly once or twice. They came through just fine. Going to try it with some new geraniums and some potted begonias this winter.

The new coleus varieties are stunning.

I was thinking the same thing about microclimate. If it's south facing it would make a big difference, keeping the walls warm, etc.