Thursday, September 3, 2015

PBS ombudsman is not amused with Gwen Ifill's Iran deal tweet.

The insight Twitter provides to the minds of influential people, the communicative type is useful. And spouting off has hurt a lot of people too. The Right complains about SJW using Twitter to gang up for destruction while doing the same thing automatically by simply talking among people they follow. Coordinated or not the result is the same.

The format allows for misreading. You think for certain you understand clearly what you're reading, it's right there, yet the format, the popping off aspect of it really does count on people understanding the person behind it. It's clipped nature is easily misread.

But some things are so clear. You know Ifill better than I. How does she intend this to be read?

We hear her saying, "Take that, Bibi." You know her, does she do that thing of explaining somebody else by putting on their voice and putting words in their mouth?" 

Is this Ifill speaking for herself on Twitter exposing her low-class and poorly informed personal joy in the decision or is this Ifill being a real journalist and telling us what the White House is saying?  She refers to a White House sponsored Tweet lauding the deal and snipping the fuse to the bomb of Netanyahu's famously ridiculed illustration. It's childishly retro-abusively provocative of the thin-skinned White House, as we've come to expect, is Ifill channeling a White House with children's boxing gloves?  Pow pow, take that. Or is she speaking for herself? 


[Incidentally, notice what is omitted from the with/without diagram. It's so utterly vacuous it would be risible were it not profoundly tragic. Every reader here could fill the page with what is had with and without this deal. The graphic is the very fast work of a child.]

Everyone I follow agrees Ifill is speaking for herself. Nobody questions it. The ombudsman, Michael Getler, says it is a self-inflicted wound, not the fist time such has happened and  he is not amused. He writes a damning and damaging piece. 

I've seen this phenomena of misreading something then piling on before. You have to remark when you see something outrageous.

Trump said Kelly had blood squirting out of her nose and ... whatever. In that moment I thought it odd for him to say nose and not ears, then recalled bloody noses, then provided blood squirting out of Kelly's ears, whatever, her mouth too, whatever, her eyeballs too whatever, blood all over her face squirting out. That's what I visualized. Quite graphic. I never for one tiny moment thought the nether regions. I never thought the most logical thing, only illogical cartoon things. 

But everyone else did think the logical thing. Conservatives are nothing if not logical.

Everyone did. 

Pervs. And Man did they ever pile on. And there is no telling them otherwise. 

In the Ifill case, I too thought Ifill is speaking for herself and so I chimed in naturally too. I thought she was exposing her prejudices. It's what I expect of PBS. It's also very easy to be 100% wrong.

5 comments:

Amartel said...

IranDeal graphic is insulting. It assumes the audience is really, really stupid.

AllenS said...

Ifullofit simply doesn't care. Why should she? Your tax dollars at work. She laughs all the way to the bank.

edutcher said...

It will be fun watching them own all of this.

Chip Ahoy said...

I just now got off Twitter, wasting time trying to get out of taking a bath, doing dishes and getting a haircut, running boxes to the shelter and cleaning up this f'n mess.

I dusted this whole place last month and the whole time I'm going, Man, this is weird going around rubbing everything.

It makes having less things around seem like a good idea. I could probably get another month out of it if I don't invite anyone over. The less things to rub every couple months the better.

Regular upkeep drudgery is getting me down.

Wanna hear something a little bit funny?

I was going out as woman entered so she held open the door. But I was distracted by a pile of flyers on the table with a photograph of the place that looked like one of mine. I took the photograph of our building on the flier. I was looking at that to look for clues to confirm it.

I told the woman, "I'm looking at these." Then she looked too. Now we're both standing there side by side looking at the fliers about the place we both live. I noticed the quotes. The numbers confirmed that my column of apartments is the highest rent but what was surprising is the lowest is just under $1,500 and that seems like a lot for a one-bedroom place. I don't know if it is. In my 'universal thick" mood, to sound stupid I said dully, "Wow. We must be rich." As if just realizing my own rent by reading the flier, an impossibility. The woman looked up at me and said directly and with no little resentment for the situation of paying so much, "They are after we give it to them." Also ridiculous is commiserating about the place you choose for yourself to live.

They tuk mah foto.

Amartel said...

It's super Elite to be anti-semitic. Y'all. Especially true if y'all are Jewish.
Hicks.
Unthinking partisan nitwits.
Here's some more hick and rube antics. The RNC allowed this woman, Gwen Awful Ifill, to "moderate" the VP debate between Biden and Palin (and Palin won, don't let anyone try to rewrite history on that one) even though she had a book coming out about Obama which turned out to be just as slobbering as you'd expect.
Why? What was the thinking then, and since then, allowing lefty "journalists" to moderate debates. They're not non-partisan. Then when we get a debate on Fox, in a Republican primary, they still left it up with Megyn & Chris Wallace (Democrat) trying to be fair and balanced with snippy God questions and taking shots at Trump.