Saturday, July 4, 2015

small fireworks, Civic Center, Denver


It's a show like this every day. Were it a painting it would be unbelieveable.

Almost 4 minutes of neighborhood fireworks. 



That was a bit of fun, short and sweet, close in and intimate. I finished recording this, realized the fireworks are not much higher than the trees, and that one is blocking, got up to move closer and it was over.

All John Phillip Souza. The round of songs for the military branches. They're all fun. We sang them in different schools all the time but I never knew what any of those arcane references were supposed to evoke, but I did understand off we go into the wild blue yonder climbing high into the sun, hum de dum hum ditty hum di hum di  brrrrrrrrap ka-boom perfect for fireworks. That's all you need.

Since we're being all Souza-martial about it. 

I sat down on the grass on the library side of the Civic Center, a slight woman with blond straw hair took up next to me. I chatted it up without hearing a single word she said. I have no idea what I agreed to. I told her now that I was down I was a bit worried about getting back up and that turned out to be much more difficult than I imagined. My legs became noodles right there. Most embarrassing. I struggled to climb on top of my wobbly legs, failing the first time falling backwards on the grass and rolling, the woman moved in, but having been drinking there was no way for her to assist. I barked her off me, straightened up like a struggling newborn giraffe, at great length and incredible difficulty finally found my legs, and the group of women sitting and their tots running around observing all applauded. I laughed with the woman who tried so pitifully to help and walked away. 

Boom, over, just like that. Suddenly the whole block of people are walking toward me and overtaking me. I have only to walk a block and a half home, everyone moving in my direction, I the slowest of all. Adorable little children all passing me up.  I stop to take a few photos of the crowd, sort of odd that many people that late in my neighborhood.





The sudden rush of people is the fun part.

The parapet-like structure I'm sitting on is designed to discomfort to discourage sitting but it does for the moment to lean on and take a few shots. Another woman peels off from the crowd and takes up beside me.

"It's not very comfortable."

     "I know."

So it's going to be like that. Not dissuaded, "The little kids are the best part." 

     "You like little kids?"

That's all it took, she opened up conversationally, moved closer to be heard better. I mentioned the real little kids are curious about my sticks, they look at the sticks then look up at me with a wtf expression. The woman clamped my arm and crumpled laughing. She noticed me packing up and asked if she can walk along. I told her I walk very slowly, slowest of all. That's okay with her and she attached herself. Also had been drinking and not so clear of speech.

I don't like that. 

How is she going to remember my bon mots? What good are they? That's two in a row.

     "Have we passed the Art building?"

"No. That's this right here." 

Nice place. Right next door. It's a new hotel. She said the wonderful and surprising thing about the place is the art inside is all original. You can see from the outside it's all top. No messing around. She invited me up. 

To see the art.

This just walking to the library and back. A few fireworks, What's shown above is basically it. So little to please so many. Maybe I'll invite her to see the dinosaur tracks tomorrow, since she's visiting. That's something.