Monday, July 27, 2015

KLEM FM


I got to tonight's song in a roundabout way, basing my choice on a rhyme with a word in "Meaty, Beaty, Big, and Bouncy" -- the name of the album where I first heard "I Can See For Miles."

Upon further perusal, I found an interesting term that I hadn't heard since I was a teen (or pre-teen):  "heavies." In late 60's, early 70's, "heavies" was slang for a certain style of music. It wasn't quite "heavy metal" (which didn't really exist yet); it had nothing to do with a song's gravitas. Here's a clue from Paul McCartney:
The song [I Can See For Miles] may have inspired The Beatles' "Helter Skelter". Paul McCartney recalls writing "Helter Skelter" after reading a review of The Who Sell Out in which the critic claimed that "I Can See for Miles" was the "heaviest" song he had ever heard. McCartney had not heard the song, but wrote "Helter Skelter" in an attempt to make an even "heavier" song than the one praised in the review.  link

1 comment:

ricpic said...

The great thing about this song is that once you got the miles and miles and miles part down you could walk around singing it cause that was the whole song -- like I did.

Is this thing on? IS THIS THING ON?!