Sunday, July 19, 2015

Hondo knows!



Angie Lowe: Anyway, I don't believe a dog can smell Indians.
Hondo Lane: Haven't you ever been to a 7-11?
Angie Lowe: That dog can't tell the difference. I mean, as different from anyone else. You and me, for instance.
Hondo Lane: Well they can. As a matter of fact, Indians can smell white people.
Angie Lowe: I don't believe it.
Hondo Lane: Well it's true. I'm part Indian and I can smell you when I'm downwind of you.
Angie Lowe: That's impossible.
Hondo Lane: No, it isn't impossible, Mrs. Lowe. You baked today. I can smell fresh bread on you. Sometime today, you cooked with salt pork. Smell that on you, too. You smell all over like soap: you took a bath. And, on top of that, you smell all over like a woman. I could find you in the dark, Mrs. Lowe, and I'm only part Indian.
(Hondo, 1953)

7 comments:

Trooper York said...

Now what makes this hilarious is what actually happened on the movie set. The actress Geraldine Page was a New York Theater actress making her first western. And she had the unfortunate habit of not bathing. Also reputedly really bad teeth. Irish girl teeth if you know what I mean. She was banging all the key grips and camera guys on the set and causing all kinds of trouble. And she smelled bad. Real bad. In the hot western sun. Like an oyster po-boy left on a bench on the bayou.

So the writer put this little bit of dialogue in as an inside joke. John Farrow the director said that when the Duke said that with a straight face it was the most impressive feat of acting prowess he had ever seen.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

That photo is freaking me out a bit. It looks like north and south table mesa. Chip? whachothink?

Trooper York said...

Take a closer look at her teeth if you want to get freaked out.

edutcher said...

Any guy who'd spent any time in the desert coulda done the same thing.

Even if his grandmother was Dutch.

Methadras said...

I'll be honest and tell you that my dog does not like some black people. I have no idea why.

ricpic said...

Hondo Hud? Hud Hondo? Which came first? I must know!

edutcher said...

Methadras said...

I'll be honest and tell you that my dog does not like some black people. I have no idea why.

The five races all have different smells. A white guy walks through an all-black neighborhood, the dogs go nuts.

Same if a black guy walks through an all-white neighborhood.

If you've got a bunch of illegals that don't have anything but Indian in them, same thing.