Wednesday, June 24, 2015

weather disruptions

Also, plant-oriented people are nice.

Talk of climate is all well and good, the whole subject has been completely corrupted so even the Catholic pope goes over to the dark side.  It's all nonsense of the worst sort and so is the discussion. But weather is where it's at, that's where you live the discussion and it's fantastic.
Hi.
To be honest, I don't know what I'm doing. Read books, watched videos, but never grew caladiums. 
I bought 30 bulbs total, 10 each of  3 types. Boy, the pictures sure are pretty.
Planted them all about the place.  Filled all the blank spaces of dirt in container arrangements in large pots. 
Of the 30, only 6 have emerged as spikes to begin unfurling leaves so I can identify the type a bit early. All six in the same pot, of two types.
Restated, six plants out of thirty.  Two types worked. 1/5 success.
No sign of life for any of the rest.  
I'm at the critical point where I must go out and buy mature plants to compensate for these non-starters.  
It has been one thing after another this season but this caladium episode of having only 1/5 the bulbs work is a particularly strange setback. I thought quite a lot about my selection, now I must go out and settle for what is available when I look. 
What was I expecting? Some kind of assurance. Money back guarantee. Plant-related advice. Compensation. Commiseration. An understanding ear. Or perhaps, "hey, that's the way it goes."
Thank You for the email. 
I pulled your order and it looks like we shipped your order on Friday June 5th meaning you should have received them on or about June 9th.
You guys have had such crazy weather in Denver this year it's not funny.
Basically though the answer to your problem is the bulbs just haven't been in the ground or dirt long enough. If you planted them the day you received them than they've only been in the ground for about 14-15 days 
That is Nowhere near long enough for the bulbs to germinate. Without even asking which ones have come up I can safely say it's probably the Scarlet O'Hara. They are the fastest germinating caladiums we grow 
Growing caladiums is all dictated by ONE thing, the soil temperature. The short answer to your problem is to just give them some more time, They are going to come up!! They always do!!! 
We generally have about a 98% germination rate on our bulbs. On occasion a bulb may be bad but those are very rare.  
With temperatures climbing as quickly as they are you will be seeing life pretty soon!!! It's just going to take longer than a couple of weeks.  Here in FL it takes at least a couple of weeks before you'll start seeing them sprout and we are wayyy hotter than you guys. 
Hang in there, They are going to come up!!! 
If you have any questions, Please Do Not hesitate to give me a call.

Happy Gardening!!
They knew just what I needed. I didn't mention I gouged out all their eyes.  It's another of those live and learn things, but patience will not do.  If I were patient the whole season would go by with me still waiting to start something that should be well advanced. I was patient with the giant alliums and they never did come up. There I was expecting twenty very tall very large purple balls bandying about in the wind, but nothing. That's what patience gets you.

No comments: