Wednesday, June 10, 2015

KLEM FM


According to the Wiki, The Hollies never officially broke up; this makes them one of the longest lived rock and roll bands. I do wonder who takes that cake. Suggestions? The Rolling Stones date from 1962 but so too do The Hollies. Surely Dick Dale predates them, but he's more or less a solo act.

I've embedded the lyrics after the jump, in case you've ever wondered WTH the song was supposed to be about.



Saturday night I was downtown
Working for the FBI
Sittin' in a nest of bad men
Whiskey bottles piling high

Bootlegging boozer on the west side
Full of people who are doing wrong
Just about to call up the DA man
When I heard this woman sing a song

A pair of 45's made me open my eyes
My temperature started to rise
She was a long cool woman in a black dress
Just-a 5'9, beautiful, tall
With just one look I was a bad mess
'Cause that long cool woman had it all

[Instrumental Interlude]

I saw her heading to the table
Like a tall walking big black cat
When Charlie said I hope that you're able boy
'Cause I'm telling you she knows where it's at
Then suddenly we heard the sirens
And everybody started to run
A-jumping out of doors and tables
When I heard somebody shootin' a gun
Well the DA was pumping my left hand

And a-she was a-holding my right
Well I told her don't get scared
'Cause you're gonna be spared
I've gotta be forgivin' if I wanna spend my living
With a long cool woman in a black dress
Just a 5'9 beautiful tall
Yeah, with just one look I was a bad mess
'Cause that long cool woman had it all
Had it all
Had it all

7 comments:

chickelit said...

A pair of 45's made me open my eyes

"A pair of 45's" as a bust size just doesn't work for me. Does it refer instead to a handgun? But who straps on two Colt .45's? The lyrics would have made better sense had he sung "a pair of 35's" or better still "a pair of ___" (insert your favorite cup size).

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

... a long cool woman in a black dress
Just a 5'9" beautiful 'n' tall
Just one look I was a bad mess
'Cause that long cool woman had it all

-metrolyrics

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

If you're long and cool (skinny) with huge 45 breasts, you might look a bit top heavy.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

*Doink* you already posted the lyrics.

Where are they from? He has a slight southern accent.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

British with a southern accent? cool. I know nothing about his band, even though I've heard the song a million times. I admit that I didn't even know it was "the hollies".

Anonymous said...

Ha! I have never seen the lyrics to this song or knew what it was about until now. A thousand thanks.

I believe the Hollies are a British band who took their name in honor of Buddy Holly. The southern accent was something the Beatles and Stones also did. The early sixties British bands adored and imitated American rockabilly artists like Carl Perkins.

Rabel said...

"A pair of 45's" as a bust size just doesn't work for me."

Perhaps they are anime fans.