Saturday, May 16, 2015

"My hotel made sure I wasn't date raped... I'm in awe"

Posted to Reddit by anotherglassofwine...
A guy who seemed totally normal and okay hung out with me and bought me a couple of drinks tonight. We talked a lot, but he insisted that since we're both married it was only conversation and that's what he wanted. He got me a couple of strong drinks and after the last one I drunkenly headed up to my room.

Then I noticed he came up to my floor, he was right behind me asking me if we could hang out in one of our rooms. Um, no. I told him that I'm absolutely not okay with that.

About two minutes after I arrived in my room I received a call from the front desk. Someone was concerned after they saw that man, drunk, follow me into the elevator and just wanted to make sure I was okay.

I almost cried on the phone thanking these people for this kind of courtesy. I have never felt so looked out for. Novotel is the shit.
Top 2 comments...
If you haven't already, send a letter to the manager of the hotel and maybe even the regional manager if you can. Your thanks are probably thanks enough for those people, but hotel people get treated terribly by complaining customers regularly, and good news gets rewarded :)
---

That's really awesome.

I went out with one of my guy friends one night and he got really drunk, so I drove us home in his car. My car's lights turn on automatically, so I'm used to that and didn't think to turn the headlights on. I got pulled over and the cop talked to me for a bit to make sure I wasn't drunk (I hadn't had a single drink all night), then went to his car to run my license, etc.

A few minutes later he came back and asked me to get out of the car, and I start freaking out thinking I had a warrant or something. Instead, he just took me aside and said, "I can tell you're totally sober but I wanted to ask you, is everything okay? You look like you've been crying so I wanted to make sure you were safe." (We had been in smokey bar and smoke makes my eyes water, so I guess that's why I looked that way.) I told him yes, the guy was my friend and I was just driving him home. He offered to follow us home and I told him it wasn't necessary.

I thought that was super cool of him (and my friend and I had a good laugh about it.) It's nice to know there are people out there who look out for one another.

8 comments:

Methadras said...

Back in the day, and I remember this cause I was a kid, my dad had one to many and he would drag me with him to the lodge to meet his friends. Usually the old geezers from the legion and whatnot. They were cool, always wanted to get me to drink something to watch me gag on it and get a good raccous laugh out of it. Anyway, dad had one to many, we drove home which was about a mile away and he gets pulled over. The cop knew he was really tipsy but he looks at me and says, "Hey kid, you okay?" I'm like "Yeah, I'm just watching my dad doesn't go outside the lines." He laughed at that and asked where we lived, by then we were just about a 1/4 mile away, so he said he'd follow us home to make sure we got there okay. That was cool.

Today, that's a $25k drink that will turn into a misdemeanor or felony.

Steg said...

Smoke, in a bar?! That must be a real free state. Freedom is outlawed here in NJ.

AllenS said...

You can buy a couple of friends just in case. Try Smith and Weston.

ricpic said...

The cop offered to follow her and some male stranger in her car home and she turned the cop down? What a stoop!

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Smoke, in a bar?!

Story sounds a little fishy doesn't it?

Chip Ahoy said...

*bring bring* Hello.

Hi this is the front desk. We noticed a man follow you upstairs, is everything okay?

I'm fine thank you. Thank you for checking.

Are you sure you're fine?

Yes, I'm fine. Thank you for checking.

Would you like someone to talk to?

No, thank you, I'm fine. Thanks for checking.

I mean, I could come up and *click*

DADvocate said...

Nice to know. 25 years ago my wife and I stayed in a hotel in Baltimore for the national occupational therapy convention, heavily female profession.

During that time, a serial rapist was preying on female visitors at the hotel. The hotel had a building separate from the main building that didn't have a front desk of any permanent staff in it. The rapist would use the house phone by the front door and call rooms claiming there was a problem with the smoke detector. When he found a woman alone, he would tell her he needed to come in her room and check it. Then he would rape her.

The hotel did nothing to warn visitors about this, nor was any security evident. We found about it many months later when it was featured on 20/20 or 60 Minutes many months later. Quite alarming since probably 80% of the rooms were females that week.

Steg said...

When the smoking ban passed in NJ, I was in high school. My family of non-smokers was adamantly against it- because of the freedom of private property rights.

Years later, above 21, I argued in a bar, with a smoker, about why it was a bad move. She was a super liberal, and would not get it. 99% of the women around me.

It's a small stupid issue which represents the whole problem, in my mind.