Monday, May 11, 2015

KLEM FM


I don't know much about the history of this much longer version of "Gimme Shelter." But I am sure that it was the same take as the one released on Let it Bleed in 1969. I think the album version was edited and remixed, but it was the same take. How can I tell?  Merry Clayton's vocal track (beginning at the 5 min mark). She could only have done that once. She went home later that evening (morning?) and miscarried her child. So actually someone may have been harmed in that recording.

The redeeming factor in this otherwise menacing song is the last verse: "Love, sister, it's just a kiss away."

Full lyrics after the jump:


Oh, a storm is threat'ning
My very life today
If I don't get some shelter
Oh yeah, I'm gonna fade away

War, children, it's just a shot away
It's just a shot away
War, children, it's just a shot away
It's just a shot away

Ooh, see the fire is sweepin'
Our very street today
Burns like a red coal carpet
Mad bull lost its way

War, children, it's just a shot away
It's just a shot away
War, children, it's just a shot away
It's just a shot away

Rape, murder!
It's just a shot away
It's just a shot away

Rape, murder!
It's just a shot away
It's just a shot away

Rape, murder!
It's just a shot away
It's just a shot away

The floods is threat'ning
My very life today
Gimme, gimme shelter
Or I'm gonna fade away

War, children, it's just a shot away
It's just a shot away
It's just a shot away
It's just a shot away
It's just a shot away
I tell you love, sister, it's just a kiss away
It's just a kiss away
It's just a kiss away
It's just a kiss away
It's just a kiss away
Kiss away, kiss away

11 comments:

chickelit said...

Bill Wyman's bass lines are much more prominent in this mix.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Ouch.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Back in the late 90's I discovered a former speakeasy called 55 Bar in lwer Manhattan.

There was a girl performed there, who sang the hell out of this song, live band, no gimmicks.

Don't remember her name.

chickelit said...

Lady Gaga, Fergie and many others have "guest sung" that part on stage with Rolling Stones.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Freaking Boston pitching cannot preserve a lead.

Trooper York said...

Ha!

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

A 3 minute+ ad that won't allow me to skip.

I like the song, but not that much.
;)

Merry was so distraught, she could not listen to the song.

ricpic said...

Why are baby boomers so hung up on rock 'n roll?

chickelit said...

I dunno ricpic. But for me, posting this earlier, raw, unedited version of something so well-known was worth it.

Lipperman said...

There's a wonderful YouTube clip in which Merry talks about the late night recording experience with the "Rolling...Somebodies".
Very cool to see Mick react to Merry's isolated vocals.

chickelit said...

Thanks for that, Lipperman! She seems to have gotten over the miscarriage and memories thereof.