Thursday, May 7, 2015

"How friendship became a tool of the powerful"

"Researchers from the decision science research group at the University of California, Berkeley have looked closely at pay-it-forward pricing and discovered something with profound implications for how markets and businesses work. It transpires that people will generally pay more under the pay-it-forward model than under a conventional pricing system. As the study’s lead author, Minah Jung, puts it: “People don’t want to look cheap. They want to be fair, but they also want to fit in with the social norms.” Contrary to what economists have long assumed, altruism can often exert a far stronger influence over our decision-making than calculation."

"Such findings are typical of the field of behavioural economics, which emerged in the late 1970s. Like regular economists, behavioural economists assume that individuals are usually motivated to maximise their own benefit – but not always. In certain circumstances, they are social and moral animals, even when this appears to undermine their economic interests. They follow the herd and act according to certain rules of thumb. They have some principles that they will not sacrifice for money at all."

2 comments:

Chip Ahoy said...

You may think that photo is showing social engineering but it is actually showing a guy making a pop-up card.

I must go the dr for a blood letting. I find these ordeals... draining, and I always feel so wan afterwards and injured. Plus I had to bathe and shave and get shined up and its not even Saturday.

And as my resentments began to build up within me about the whole situation and how it's tied up now with federal government and its unreasonable intrusion into serious personal matters of nobody else's bizwax an item came on tv about a shortage of primary physicians and here I am complaining bitterly inside about having such access they insist I come in and see them and allow them to look at my precious vital fluid. And that's actually a rather stupid attitude to harbor.

Speaking of bizwax I landed on its nonsense Spanish equivalent:

business: negocios
wax: cera

bizwax: negocera

I was sitting there recalling the incredible personal intrusion, part of my resentment buildup, I do this, add things up like this, before being released from hospital the last transfusion. The woman asked such things as "Do you prefer baths or showers."

I don't have a preference.

"I have to write something. Which is it?"

It's exactly 50/50

"Which one do you prefer?"

"Depends on the season. And that preference changes, but not with the season."

"Which one the most?"

They're exactly precisely numerically even.

"Which do you prefer?"

I don't.

"I must write something."

Write "patient uncooperative."


"I must write either bath or shower."

THEN PICK ONE!

Nazi. I honestly believed my release depended on this woman approving it. That was the extent of cooperation possible with me. I wanted to punch her. None of it is any of her or the hospital's or the governments goddamn negocera.

ndspinelli said...

I get much from helping people. It makes me feel good to just open a door, leave a generous tip. I help people w/ my investigative skills all the time. Here's my question. Do people who are stingy, uncaring, not get that trigger in the brain that makes them feel good?