Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Barefoot Contessa


I think it gets bigger if you click it. A sudden rush while I was gone, within the span of 20 minutes everyone rushed to the same place, Ina Gardner's chocolate cheesecake, her moneymaker as she put it when she ran a shop. I forget what she said people paid for a slice and I hesitate to say how much for a whole cake whatever she said it was outrageous. She added, "I love rich people who just pay it without blinking." 

I bet I know what happened. This episode probably ran today and people checked it out online. My page is second in results after her own on Food Network site.

The cheesecake is 1+3/4 LB cream cheese and 4 oz sour cream fluffed up and set with three large whipped up eggs, so it's a little bit fluffier than usual cheesecake. And it has espresso mixed in, the instant kind to boost the chocolate. It's a thing Ina Gardener does. The chocolate is already boosted with vanilla. Any one of scores of alcohols will boost it too. So does peanut butter, just a tiny amount say a teaspoon, malt, orange zest, but Ina likes coffee boost for chocolate.

It's not good for you. A couple of slices and you're going, "Jeeze it feels I grew gills just so they can snap shut. Suddenly I have clogged gills. It becomes like eating a stick of butter. Chocolate coffee butter.

3 comments:

ricpic said...

Is it a fact that it's not good for you or is it that the anti-sugar hysterics have won? I mean how long ago was it received wisdom that high salt intake raised blood pressure. Now that's been shot to smithereens.

My second point is that there is such a thing as an obscene price for a cake. I love coffee cake. But twelve bucks for a coffee cake? That's the price in my supermarket. Not this boyo!

Chip Ahoy said...

Yeah, that's bull.

No, come on, all that cream cheese. Think of eating a whole package of cream cheese. The only good in the pie/cake thing is egg.

Christy said...

I once had a baker talk me out of a cake I wanted to take to a party. It was incredibly pricey and he only sold it by the slice. When I arrived home with the cheaper but still fabulous cake, I discovered he'd slipped a slice of the original into a corner of the box. Wasn't that sweet!

I love cheesecake! And thanks for letting me know I can use something other than coffee to enhance the chocolate.