Friday, April 3, 2015

Late night store Clerks...

...what is the strangest things that's happened on the job?  Top voted account...
I worked at a small convenience store in the early 1990's. They had one of those fry delis that had chicken, jojos, corndogs, burritos etc. This particular night I had run out of burritos and chicken. I also shut the thing down and cleaned it all out about an hour before closing.

About 5 minutes before I was closing up a guy walked in and asked for some burritos. I told him I was out of them, and that I was just about to close and the fryer was shut down. He walked around the store for a minute (I assumed he was looking for something else to buy) and then he came up to the counter, pulled out a knife and told me if I didn't cook him some burritos he was going to stab me.

I freaked out, but told him I had none to cook. I showed him the freezer and told him I would happily cook anything he wanted from it, but he will see I was out of burritos. He looked in it for a minute, turned to me and said, "You really are out." I replied, "Yeah." He then put the knife away and left the store.
Via Reddit

6 comments:

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

I think I might have an idea where that knife-wielding guy was coming from. There have been times when I've over-reacted (Okay, nothing like that, but still . . .), when I thought that someone was lying right at me.

The evolutionary psychology guy talked about that phenomenon, IIRC.

Dad Bones said...

A couple nights ago in Omaha this little gal wanted more than burritos. She didn't get any resistance from the clerk. Guess I can't blame him but some people would have put their foot up her ass before she got out of there.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

The joys of working late night.

He was really jonesing for a burrito, but I am guessing like most convenience stores the burritos were not the best there anyway.

I'm Full of Soup said...

I was bartending years ago and there was this motorcycle dude who used to come in. He had arms as big as The Rock.

One night at last call, he ordered three beers and three shots of tequila and I gave it to him. I was wiping up the bar while the customers finished their drinks when he gags on his 2nd shot and barfs on the bar and runs into the mens room.

Well I am pissed and I wipe up the mess and pour his remaining drinks down the drain. He then returns from the mens room and asks me where his drinks are. I scream at him- You puked in your drinks [there were chunks in his beer glasses] you dumb ass and I threw your drinks out all the while expecting him to take a swing at me and rip my head off.

But instead he says he is very very sorry and turns around and leaves! The topic never came up again when he came back in.

Dad Bones said...

Update on the knife wielding woman I previously mentioned who robbed a gas station. She tried the same thing in a Thai restaurant and was soon disarmed and held for the police by employees.

AllenS said...

I'm glad the story had a happy ending, Dad Bones.