Friday, December 5, 2014

A Town Called Mercy

BBC has a giant tormenting bug up its collective ass about American resistance to "sensible" gun control laws. Having surrendered their own firearms freedoms, and the whole place being basically London and its suburbs, they simply refuse to accept other developed nations do not share their values on this subject. And they cannot stop their incessant nagging until they see that we do. Their London-centric attitude is aggressively obnoxious. I read it every day. No amount of equally aggressive counterargument has any affect at all. They are impervious.

Their productions involving guns are ridiculous. Everyone says eventually, "Drop your gun," and they do. The sound of hollow plastic squirt gun hitting the hard surface is not bothered with overdubbing the sound of solid metal. And doesn't everyone in America alway say drop you gun? "And kick it away."  All that gun dropping, and kicking. Does that even happen in real life? Isn't that dangerous? It's ridiculous gun handling I suppose they imagine from American Westerns.

There are a few really good moments in this episode.

Here's your horse, It's name's Joshua. It's from the Bible.

No it isn't.

What?

I speak Horse. His name is Susan, and he wants you to respect his life choices. 

Who looks rather dashing on a horse but we all know he's a big clumsy klutz. There is another scene, a few scenes actually, where a British actor speaks American English and nails a hayseed accent sounding perfectly natural without any stereotypical exaggeration. I respect that.

This brief scene has me doubled in laughter whenever I see it. It is perfect, and counter to my general complaint. It shows BBC does have a great sense of humor.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Let them mock us. I really don't care. The more they mock, the more we arm ourselves to the teeth. It's a dangerous world. Last I heard human trafficking, slavery and child rape were on the rise in their wonderful kingdom.

Synova said...

Okay... that really was funny. "Anyone who isn't an American... Drop... your gun."

LOL!

chickelit said...

That machete hacking of a British soldier in the streets of London should have been enough to convince anyone of the price of strict gun control. A disarmed public is an appendage of the State.

What was even worse about that episode was the lack of outcry from the British public. It's like they half believed that they deserved it.

chickelit said...

American vs. British stereotypes regarding guns:

This old photo of the original Jimi Hendrix Experience says it all (note the hands). On the right, Hendrix holds a revolver naturally; on the left, effete Englishman Noel Redding grips the pistol by the end of the handle, as if he's afraid of getting his fingers near the trigger (I wonder if he touched his women that way). link

virgil xenophon said...

@Chickenman/

I had never seen that photo of Redding before ( or didn't notice if I did) WHAT a hoot! Thanx for link.

chickelit said...

@Virgil: I had that poster in my room as a kid. I stared at it a lot. Actually, my brother pointed out the different grips to me.