Friday, November 14, 2014

"What Cities Would Look Like if Lit Only by the Stars"

Hong Kong
By combining two realities, I am making a third that you cannot see … but it exists! I am showing you the missing stars,” says Cohen. “Photography is way of showing things that we can’t see. Photography is a way to dream. I am not showing you post-apocalyptic cities, merely cities without electricity. I am bringing back the silence.”

San Francisco
Cohen has visited nine cities including New York, San Francisco, Rio De Janeiro, and Hong Kong. Using an equatorial tripod mount and polar-scope, Cohen captures an urban landscape, then travels to a less populated location at the same latitude with greater atmospheric clarity. Using this method, the skies above Shanghai are actually in Western Sahara and Paris is illuminated by the stars over Montana.
I combined two realities of my own and took a picture of it...
Combined Black Beans and Potato Salad Leftovers


Tokyo
New York

12 comments:

Chip Ahoy said...

Habichuelas negras, the Cadillac of the Free Holy world.

Unknown said...

It would be cool to be Adam and Eve with a gassed up biplane.

Unknown said...

What is that? Do I see peas?

Unknown said...

nevermind - black beans.

Trooper York said...

Black beans go with everything. Although I must confess I would not think to combine them with potato salad.

One of my favorite savory dishes in cold weather is the Brazilian black bean stew called Feijoada.

I am sure that Chip and Dust Bunny Queen have made it and they can give you some great recipes. I enjoy stuffing the stew pot with pork and beef and black beans and of course chorizo's of varying degrees of heat.

Here is a good recipe.

You can of course omit the pigs feet. You never know when Nancy Pelosi might show up and that would be canibalism.

Chip Ahoy said...

On a clear night in Breckenridge the Milky Way sure does look milky.

AllenS said...

Oh, nonsense, the only thing that will constantly shine, will be the--

White Castle slider

chickelit said...

What whole countries look like without power: link

chickelit said...

Chip Ahoy said...
On a clear night in Breckenridge the Milky Way sure does look milky.

As a youth, my dad used to take us camping and diving along the Superior North shore. There were few lights for hundreds of miles. That's when I first appreciated the name too.

edutcher said...

Pretty, but, in some neighborhoods, scary.

And this is what the enviro-nuts want for us all.

john said...

Could have been, about 24 years ago:

RE: Dr. Feynman, you and your clothes are insulting, sexist, and an affront to women, especially to those of us in the sciences.

RF: My dear Miss Eveleth, may I call you Rose? It's such a beautiful name. I meant no offense. I love women in the sciences. And by way of apology, would you join us at my house this evening for drinks and conversation?

Oh, I have a hot tub, but no need to bother bringing your suit.

RE: What time?

I'm Full of Soup said...

Two very cool pics Lem. Your dinner not so much heh.