Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Tuesday, November 11

Happy Veterans Day to all the veterans who read this blog, and thank you for your service to our nation.




In the USA, Veterans Day annually falls on November 11. This day is the anniversary of the signing of the armistice, which ended the World War I hostilities between the Allied nations and Germany in 1918.

Veterans Day is intended to honor and thank all military personnel who served the United States in all wars, particularly living veterans. It is marked by parades and church services and in many places the American flag is hung at half mast. A period of silence lasting two minutes may be held at 11AM.


On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 an armistice between Germany and the Allied nations came into effect. On November 11, 1919, Armistice Day was commemorated for the first time. In 1919, President Wilson proclaimed the day should be "filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country’s service and with gratitude for the victory". There were parades, public meetings and a brief suspension of business activities at 11 AM.


In 1926, the United States Congress officially recognized the end of World War I and declared that the anniversary of the armistice should be commemorated with prayer and thanksgiving. The Congress also requested that the president should "issue a proclamation calling upon the officials to display the flag of the United States on all Government buildings on November 11 and inviting the people of the United States to observe the day in schools and churches, or other suitable places, with appropriate ceremonies of friendly relations with all other peoples."

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks to all veterans. What would we do without their selfless courage?

Some ideas to show appreciation and gratitude in honor of our vets:
Operation gratitude

Any Soldier

Operation Shoebox

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

You know how one thing leads to another? I was just talking to my wife about Veterans Day and I made the observation that it is kind of a weird holiday in that it's undifferentiated.

All veterans are the same. Lumped together. Career military and draftees. Those who died in pitched battle and those who died in their sleep in an old folks home. The guy with the knife between his teeth crawling through freezing mud and the guy who frosted his birthday cake. Even shitbirds get to call it their own.

So my wife told me about what her gynecologist said to her yesterday, "Looks like tomorrow is Veterans Day. That's the day I get a free cup of coffee."

I said, "Your gynecologist sounds like he has a sense of humor."

She says, "Yeah, he was smirking when he asked me if you beat me, or if I have substance abuse problems, or if there are any guns in the house."

And I'm, like, "He had to ask you that stuff?"

And my wife said, "Yeah, it has something to do with ObamaCare but there was no co-pay for the visit the way there used to be."

And I said, "That makes sense. That's the way the game is played. You don't have much to complain about when the man who pays the piper calls the tune."

Hey! It's Veterans Day. Let's make that a military piper. Why not?

(Yeah, I know. Not exactly visuals by Michael Bay. Hey, it was free.)

chickelit said...

I'd like to acknowledge and thank the Vets in Oceanside involved in mentoring and teaching young ROTC cadets here in Oceanside.

edutcher said...

We owe therm our freedom, which is to say, everything.

ricpic said...

My Dad served at the Bulge, in a field hospital. Thanks Dad.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Thank you to all the veterans who served in our armed forces.

We owe them a great debt.

bagoh20 said...

Thank you, vets. Your sacrifice brings us everything.

Amartel said...

Gratitude to all the vets here and everywhere.

Anyone heard from Ari lately?

Trooper York said...

Thank you to all of our Veterans.

Especially Ari and AllenS.

Youse guys are heros.

ndspinelli said...

Ari just made a couple comments on Turley, the Obamacare thread. I also rope a doped Inga/Annie into admitting she's on SS disability after claiming she was not collecting any disability here, there, and elsewhere. She's so easy to sucker. And, w/ just about anyone else I would feel guilty.

William said...

I served in the Air Force. My room in the barracks was designed for two, but they stationed four to a room. Hardships like that really change a man, but I was glad to do my part. You're welcome America.

Synova said...

William, LOL. The Air Force is like that. :)

Synova said...

I generally feel uncomfortable because yeah, veterans, okay then... but any particular "interesting times" weren't the fault of the Air Force and the ways that I feel "equal" are sort of mundane and so very many people actually experienced hardship and risk.

OTOH, if I were defending someone else I'd say... sure... your AC broke that one time during your peace-time service, but when you signed up you never knew that would be the worst of it.

I was always pretty harsh on the various people who tried to get out of going active duty or tried to claim conscientious objector status after it looked like they'd actually have to inconvenience themselves because even when it's peacetime when you talk to the recruiter, you never know what tomorrow will be but you still chose to put yourself between that danger and those you love.

So maybe it's okay for me and others to have a "day"... but it's still not the same thing at all as the very many people who actually had to *do* something. Not even a little bit.

Dad Bones said...

Damn, William, that makes me feel bad. In '65, when I went in, it was two to a room.

I'll admit it. I joined the Air Force to reduce my chances of bleeding on the job. In Nam one of my buddies wasn't so lucky. We were moving some heavy office furniture into our new modular and air conditioned dispensary when his hand got caught in a tight spot and sliced off the tip of his index finger.

Just like that. I've often wondered why it happened to him and not me. Cause my hand was in a tight spot, too....and, uh, you're welcome, Mr Haz.