Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Kurt Schlichter

Watch Carlson Tucker laugh.


Kurt Schlichter is author of several books. His Amazon page here.

Schlichter's latest book, Conservative Insurgency, available on Amazon here. $8.00 Kindle version.

I must say, I enjoyed this book tremendously. In novel form, set thirty years in the future, structured as a series of interviews of characters that appear here and there under various chapter headings. Here are a  few to give you an idea:

2) Guerilla Politics
5) Lawfare
7) Safe Haven of the States
10) Breaking and Remaking of the Law
11) Target Academia
14) How Hollywood went Conservative
15) Victory

So, in conversational style, Schlichter describes how the Tea Party infiltrated and took over the Republican Party and how the conservative takeover involved more than just politics, how culture was wrested from the progressive stranglehold and power returned to states from a vastly diminished centralized government, how the hopes and dreams of progressive operatives were smashed by a process of changing minds, along with the failure of big government.

A good part of the success of the book hinges on identifiable real life people. Important present day politicians, Breitbart, Instapundit and so forth. The origin of Tea Party is explained along with the failure of big government starting with Obama presidency.

Uncomfortably, Schlichter postulates an Hillary Clinton two-term presidency that wrecks things so badly that people look for something better and become more open to Constitutional fidelity. The term Tea Party falls to abuse and replaced with the term Constitutional Conservatives. It didn't matter that the Democrats attacked the term Tea Party smearing the name beyond recognition of who they actually are and what they are about. The conservative impulses never faded, they never went anywhere. There was no actual party to crush so destroying the name achieved nothing. They thought themselves victorious even as their institutions are taken over. Individuals behaved as they would with or without an unifying name. It didn't and doesn't matter. It is a very clear thinking and cheering book.

Written before Republicans took the Senate at midterm elections. The book does not predict the extent of Obama's malevolency and disruption. The bulk of destruction is left to Hillary Clinton. It appears to me as reader the events described are on track but much faster than Schlichter imagined.

It is a fast and fun read. I do recommend this book.

Schlichter is also quite active on Twitter. It is a bit of fun following his unapologetic smackdowns of liberals who error in daring taking him on. He seems to enjoy himself being the cat toying with doomed mice because he persists with good humor well beyond the point that I would give up and move on. He is not satisfied until he sees bruising and bleeding, all with a smile.

His latest Town Hall article is, "America You've Been Grubered."

[He retweeted me one time. A woman fell victim to a prank item about Palin. She failed to notice the whole thing is parody. To a sorely mal-informed liberal the story makes perfect sense  A string of tweets corrected her but she stuck to her position until it became untenable and she dropped the whole thing. I said, "Now, tell us more about Republican war on women." Apparently Schlichter liked that.]

As for Kindle. I do not have one of those. My 13" Mac laptop is no bigger than a tablet with a keyboard so I'm using Kindle for Amazon app. Phrases in the book are underlined by previous readers and I do not want that. It is like reading a used textbook where previous students highlight the dumbest things and fail to highlight essentials that I  know will be on a test. I realized, no wonder I get A's to your C's when graded on a curve. There is also a highlight function, but these are faint underlines. Usually I can find the answers online readily but not so in this case. All I found were more people having the same problem with no solution provided that applied to what I am seeing. I could not make the lines go away. I tried everything I saw in Kindle menu and the only thing that happens is a side panel opens. One button having to do with highlighting prevents the side panel from shrinking back. I wrote Amazon stating this is a make or break thing with me. Probably the last Kindle book I will buy. Plus you cannot scroll, only in full pages as a real book. They responded within half an hour without an answer, by then I discovered the solution tucked away in preferences. I told Amazon customer services and their CS representative wrote back:

THANK YOU! 

3 comments:

Michael Haz said...

Thanks, Chip! I've ordered Schlichter's book on your excellent recommendation.

I ordered a print version because I'm not yet sure I get the whole e-book thing. I bought a Nook a couple of years ago, and set it aside after reading a few books. I doesn't let me do the book-y things like flip through chapters, check footnotes, etc. with the same ease as a print book. So the Nook sits on a shelf as I ponder what to do with it.

I picked the Nook over the Kindle because I liked imagining Mel Brooks holding one up and saying with a Yiddish accent "Hit's noct a Kinndul, hit's a Schnook!"

Okay, fine, like you always had the best decision making skills.

I follow Schlichter on twitter, he's usually very entertaining.

Mumpsimus said...

I chose the Kindle over the Nook, mainly because I'm pretty sure Amazon will still be around in five years' time, and I'm not nearly as sure about Barnes & Noble.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I follow him also. I try lifting some of his stuff but I changed my mind.