Monday, September 15, 2014

"On 9/11 I saw the worst of humanity, the absolute worst, on 9/12 I saw the best"

Mass. woman solves mystery of 9/11 photo.
Keefe found the photo at ground zero right after the attacks. She made it her mission to find out the story behind it.

Elizabeth Stringer Keefe posted a wedding picture on social media every 9/11, hoping to find the people in the photo.

But every year was the same -- no leads.
This year, however... one message from Fred Mahe changed everything.

"When he answered the phone he said his name, and I said, 'This is Elizabeth Stringer Keefe.' And he paused for a minute and said, 'You are awesome,'" Keefe said. "I said, 'Are you in that photo?' He said, 'That is my photo.' And it was unbelievable. I immediately started crying."

Mahe worked in tower two. He had just come off the subway when the building was hit.

The photo, taken at his friend's wedding, was tacked to his desk on the 77th floor.

Mahe now lives in Colorado. He said all six people in the photo are alive and well.

3 comments:

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

I think it was a little ceramic figurine of a dancer in "Slaughterhouse 5."

Dresden.

Unknown said...

A reminder that the terrorists wanted to kill tens of thousands, and they did not succeed. They failed.

The Dude said...

Give Obama time, they'll get there.