Saturday, September 6, 2014

Nikko dragon

Paint a dragon in one stroke.


Barry and I visited Nikko Japan north of Tokyo on a Boy Scout camp out to the outer edge of the town. Our tents were set up near a resort located on top of a mineral water spring. Like Indian Hot Springs in Colorado, except classier. The most memorable thing about the campout was our discovery of a nearby peanut farm. The plants were all nearly dead. We learned the mystery of peanuts growing underground connected to the plants roots. So, not really nuts, more like potatoes.

Part of our campout became a traditional public bath for all the boys right before leaving. So we'd all be shined up. 

Paedo pervs. 

They just wanted to see our pee-pees.

Then, the last day after the bath we packed up our equipment to go home before leaving the historic area our bus dropped us off in the town for a few hours of looking around.  It was a cultural thing, to provide the opportunity to see Nikko, a place built around two temples, the location of mausoleums of two famous shoguns, now a tourist center. The place were the 'see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil' monkeys originated in the architecture of a temple. Every shop it seemed sold a version or several versions or several sizes of the same row of monkeys. [nikko monkeys] The monkeys were everywhere in souvenir form.

They also sold carvings of a bear. I have no idea what the story is behind the bear. if there is one. Maybe it is just because there are bears in the area, like Yellowstone.

We came home with one of these dragon paintings, a colorful one, wood carvings of Nikko monkeys and another of a bear. They became part of our parent's household and were carried from there, to there, to there, thereafter, from household to household, until finally languishing in basement of my parent's final home.

The other memorable thing besides all that was the drive up to the site in a bus. The sort of bus used as transportation between bases like a school bus except blue.

The bus wend its way on the road up the mountain switchback curves the whole way up through a fog. Frightening. The road was paved but not a highway. Not congested either. The bus hugged the wall of the mountain then near the top on the opposite side the sky opened up briefly to expose a lake ensconced in a dense heavy mist and for all the world looking as if it were floating in midair upon the clouds.  It seemed magical to drive upward through cloud to a floating lake then beyond it. 

On the way down, at the stop in the town Barry was riveted by a man painting the dragons in a single brush stroke. We watched a man produce them one after another, then Barry bought one and once back at home we marveled close up at the brushwork imitating scales on a dragon that we watched being painted. We knew the scales were not painstaking drawn separately as they appear.  For Barry's dragon the man's easel was upright, the dragon heads already painted and dry. the man had a stack of large sheets of paper with pre-painted dragon heads already on them. Asian dragon heads have a lot of tentacles all over, feelers like catfish, fish whisker type things around their mouths and around their heads.  Pre painted to speed things. The man wielded a very large flat brush. Stiffer than the long floppy calligraphy brushes shown in the videos. He loaded the brush with straight colors squeezed directly from the tube, and I mean loaded. Bright primary colors squished like a rainbow onto the tip brush. A very good amount of paint loaded with each color. Then he proceeded in the manner shown, unloading his brush as he went along, tipping the brush as the paint depleted, creating curves and curving over what he already painted, the paper depleting the brush he continues to tip it off racing  his curves around and across a wet sheet. It honestly looks like the backside and underside of a snake. It struck us as as a remarkably daring way to fill a page with color. And still does. 

Google video [paint nikko dragons]







Does this look like a dragon, or what?  ↑

9 comments:

Shouting Thomas said...

Yes, it does look like a dragon.

Can you identify the music playing in the video?

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

Okay, I'll tell you, since you asked. We rented the completely obscure The Happiest Millionaire (1967) because my wife and I got to talking about when we were kids in the 1960s and the Gulf gas stations would distribute Disney promotional items, maybe if you bought so much gasoline or something.

We had Disney placemats (paper and laminated plastic) and a couple of LP records. On one of those records was the "Fortuosity" song from the movie and in a burst of whimsy I was all like "What the hell, let's see if the movie's on NetFlix" and it was. The disk looked like it had never been played.

Anyway, one of the other songs on that Disney record of my childhood was a spooky song about dragons. The song described the differences between monsters and dragons, IIRC. Kids were instructed that they have to keep themselves very clean if they ever hope to see a dragon, who are very clean themselves, apparently.

That's all I can remember about the song. I looked on the internet but that was a fail. Sorry.

But let me say this before I go. I was taught that the fleshy thing at my crotch was called a peepee-deep.

The yellow fluid that came out of it was called peepee. Nowadays, I call it pee, but early in the morning, having gotten out of bed and made my way to the bathroom, it's more like dribble. So it goes.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

EPILOGUE: A little surgery -- snip -- and my little guy was back to pissing like a stallion.

Hooray!!!

KCFleming said...

I saw the Santa Fe staircase. Women draped their personal wooden rosaries on the steps, even though it was forbidden to touch them, and put cheap colored plastic rosaries on the tree outside, which was made beautiful by all the shiny beads.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

I made another attempt to find that dragon song. Another fail.

But I did find something that blew my mind.

I had one when I was a little kid, never called it Rosebud.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

I don't remember ours having the Mickey Mouse rigamoreall, though.

Just plain white and blue.

Got the job done.

Shouting Thomas said...

@Eric

I figured that you'd answered my question, but I'll be damned if I know how.

Be that as it may, I think you're full of guano. Great for fertilizer and gun powder.

Trooper York said...

Beat post as usual Chip!

The Dude said...

I really enjoyed Nikko - I was there in '82. The carvings, including the 3 monkeys, were impressive as all get out. Beautiful place in a beautiful setting.

I was impressed with the forest of giant cedar trees (Cryptomeria as near as I can tell) planted by the shogun - they were 300 years old when I was there and the foresight required to plant a forest impressed me mightily.

Sure, all the wooden buildings made with the incredibly complex Japanese joinery were amazing, but dude planted a freakin' forest! Dude!

We got there on the Romance train, I rode with two blonde coworkers and the looks we got from our fellow travelers were amazing. Two? Dude!