Saturday, July 12, 2014

Sultans of Swing cover

Someone on Reddit asked, "what is a song you immediately fell in love with?" and redditors have some great responses. The Smiths appear early. One liked "The Boy With a Thorn in His Side" and another linked this video of David Tennant (Dr Who) dancing to  it.

Another linked a street entertainer in Brazil during the World Cup. Please, I ask you, stick with it until the end. The guitar riff at 5:45 takes off impressively, an improvement, I think, over the original.


The thing is, this guitar looks exactly like the guitar my dad bought us kids overseas. Just handed it over and said, "Here." He allowed us to plug it into his stereo hifi for an amp, his pride and joy, that we played records on endlessly. The record player lifted out of the cabinet and extended toward the person kneeling in front of it presenting itself for you to set the stylus anywhere you like. We went through styluses like nobody's business. We ruined it, of course, playing Simon and the Chipmunks over and over. How he stood the racket of five children is beyond me, but he did. Liked it, in fact. Could not tolerate silence. He was the type who abhorred being alone. Never was alone, always took along at least one of kids with him wherever he went. Usually two or three. None of us could do anything with that guitar except hurt our fingers, break strings and snap picks. Not even House of the Rising Sun, which is like, what, four notes? We couldn't even tune it, and we tried. I'm going to ask my sibs what happened to that guitar. One of them still has it, I'm certain of that.

12 comments:

MamaM said...

I didn't learn the guitar either, though I can still do an impressive rendition of Simon and the Chipmunks, with Alice's Restaurant as a close second.

While it's said that being a mom means walking around with your heart outside your body, I wonder when I read stories like this and think of my own dad, if being a dad means walking around hiding your heart in plain sight and unexpected places, where it later reveals itself with strange noises, often remaining hidden well into the next generation.

deborah said...

Impressive.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

That is impressive. I would have given a generous tip/contribution for that had I been there live.

Michael Haz said...

Is the guy actually performing it live, or is it lip synced?

There is an obvious sound track being played - you can hear drums and bass, but there is no drummer and no bassist present. Maybe the lead guitar and Mark Knopfler's voice are also on the sound track. I can't tell.

If they aren't, the guy is doing a pretty good imitation.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

Back when the internet and I first started dating, I did a search for the opening theme song from The Bob Newhart Show. (It's called "Home to Emily," in case anyone cares.)

Imagine the thrill I felt when I came upon a YouTube clip where some guy recorded himself on the drums playing the theme song. I was all, like, OH FUCKING FANTASTIC, THIS IS GOING TO BE FUCKING FANTASTIC!!!

And then I click on it and it's some retarded guy who had made a cassette recording of the TV show and was playing it on a boom box as he tried to keep time. Every now and then he'd throw in a cymbal. Just awful.

Imagine the disappointment. My heart fucking broke into a thousand little pieces.

Pretty much the same thing happened when I first started dating girls.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

The internet is forever!!!11!!1!1!!!

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

Right around this same period, I found a girl who had recorded herself plying just the bass line to "Pulling Mussels From a Shell."

Still around?

Let's find out.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

Amazing.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

@ Micheal

The guy is really doing it. He has one of those electronic devices that keeps the back beat for him.. Kind of like Karaoke. He is running his amp with a reverb type of sound for his voice and guitar so that it sounds like he is in a studio with a group.

He is very good.

My interest was to see if he was not an English speaker and was singing phonetically. I kept trying to see if he was speaking English in his thank yous to the people giving him money and at the same time watch his fingering on the guitar.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Band in a box or something like that. Very common for a solo act or a group that can't afford a whole band behind them. Technology has come a loooooong way since I was performing. :-)

XRay said...

Great stuff. Guy deserves a band.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

Am I the only one here who's had "Sultans of Swing" stuck in his head all day?

Right.

I didn't think so.