Thursday, July 3, 2014

Hard Choices

I just bought a copy of Hard Choices. I'm going to hollow it out to hide my stash. Nobody would ever think of looking in there. Plus the book's smell of rot will throw off the dogs.

Kidding.

No Seriously. Did you watch Wimbledon? I didn't. I do not follow sports. It must be foisted upon me so I did not understand this photoshop titled "rather a dramatic exit from Wimbledon"


I thought it was a fox howling as coyotes do, but foxes do not howl. That I know of. They seem rather quiet. The picture file is titled "Murray burster" so now I guess that is his chest bursting open. But I do know enough about sports to spot a mixed sport metaphor. Sometimes. At Wimbledon.com, their piece is titled "Below par Andy Murray feels force of Grigor Dimitrov" where I learned Murray became quite cross and expressed himself most unsportingly and where commenters there are arguing that Murray is English when he wins but Scottish when he loses. Silly Americans, never do get the whole British thing straight. Things like par conflated with tennis would throw me off, and cause me to thing Wimbledon is golf and not tennis. For instance, I thought it was Wimbleton not Wimbledon, just as I thought the Super Bowl was a gigantic dome like the Duper Dome. As a boy I had visited the Super Dome in New Orleans. So when people spoke of the Super Bowl about which I knew nothing, it was a natural mistake.

I am fascinated, though, by people like Murray who can make their mouth shaped like a square. I cannot do that without inserting four fingers and spreading my mouth unnaturally, and I cannot forget the man from another country I encountered on South Beach who did that in natural speech. I spoke with him for awhile observing his mouth shaped like a near perfectly straight line, impossible to lipread, that he opened into a near perfect square to say the single word, "oh" in reply to me talking about my plans. Repeatedly, a round o came out of his square mouth, a dark square hole, like an improbable sound ring, and I marveled,  a rather cartoonish encounter altogether. I'm still fascinated. I'm tempted to photoshop an ooooo coming out of Murray's mouth, but his curved teeth are wrecking the effect. I'd have to darken them out and square off the corners to match the traveler on South Beach.

5 comments:

deborah said...

LOL 'rather a dramatic exit from Wimbledon.'

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I thought it was a fox howling as coyotes do, but foxes do not howl. That I know of. They seem rather quiet.

Hence, what does the fox say?

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

(1) It's one of those things you never noticed before, but then once you've noticed it, you keep on noticing it again and again.

What am I talking about?

Beautiful women, their mouths and their teeth. More specifically, some women have this thing where they open their mouth slack and they still display a bit of their teeth as if they were smiling.

An extreme example makes the point.

(2) I don't watch the news on TV anymore but it used to be that a great many of the readers would show their bottom teeth as they spoke.

Here you go.

(3) Some of these male models can show their teeth without really smiling. See?

(4) One more. Why not?

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

When it comes to showing your teeth without really trying, I would be remiss not to mention Brooke Adams but not everyone thought she was so very beautiful, IIRC.

It took something very, very extraordinary for Ms Adams not to show her teeth. See what I mean?

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

The first Alien movie was the best.