Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Does violence define masculinity?


I'd say, yes, actually. That's with a whole bunch of caveats and recourse to definitions. Still, I think that most of what this guy says is both very right and very wrong.


First, he claims that men = violence is entirely cultural... that it's trained into boys from their youngest years.  Part of that is true, but it's also not true.  We know that higher testosterone is associated with higher aggression in both men and women and men tend to have more testosterone. Violence is actually essentially human. We don't train it into ourselves, we train it OUT.*


This isn't to say, at all, that our cultural fascination with criminal violence is good, or that any of the examples that the NRA commentator lists are wrong.  But he (and others who make similar arguments) fail to understand the source of the fascination.  Our caveperson genes admire strength because strength means meat on the table, protection from sabertoothed tigers, and warmth through the winter months.  Because the mirror side of criminal violence is the capability to provide protective violence.

Our society has been spending a great deal of time and effort trying to convince men that they shouldn't be protective. We're not talking hulking muscles and bloody swords here, we're talking opening doors. Little things that put men in a role of looking out for others. Showing you want that role by offering to carry her books home from school. "How dare you suggest I need looking after?" But looking after others defines masculinity as much as nurturing defines femininity, and while physical strength is attractive, the role doesn't require it.  Dweebs in vacation duds and deck shoes set the women and children in the lifeboats first.

Take that away.  Take away the quiet protection, the provision, the admiration and thanks for carrying my books or opening doors.  Vilify outright the young man who beats up bullies or protects the weak.  Mock the adult man who feels important with his conceal carry pistol because he thinks he might be able to stop something bad happening someday.

Do all that and all that is left to satisfy our primal biological imperatives and signal which man is the most masculine is criminal violence.

*(And thus the true social tragedy of denying the reality of Original Sin... that we are born sinful because we are born human becomes this odd notion that we don't really have to fight our human nature because our human nature is just fine, thankyou.  Unfortunately, reality is that humans didn't "claw our way to the top of the food chain" or become apex predators by weaving daisy chains.)

20 comments:

bagoh20 said...

Violence is as much masculine as is reason, so, yea.

bagoh20 said...

Does this mean I'm never gonna get captured by amazons and used for breeding, cause I was kind of living just for that, and without violent women, I got no reason to live.

deborah said...

Good thoughts, Synova. Yes, in general men want to protect and be appreciated.

Coincidentally, I'm listening to a Yale lecture series on the Early Middle Ages. The professor stresses that in the fallen Western Roman Empire, the first group to follow the Apostles' Creed were the Franks, and that the Church looked past their violence because it was considered necessary to spread the religion. I was puzzling over that; I know that's how morality eventually fell into place, but it's a paradox.

Here's the lecture where he speaks about this:

Lecture 10

Rabel said...

Is there something missing here? I feel like I walked in on somebody else's conversation.

Might be a problem on my end.

YoungHegelian said...

Because the mirror side of criminal violence is the capability to provide protective violence.

A topic admirably, if sometimes gruesomely, addressed by Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange & Stanley Kubrick's film of the same.

Rabel said...

I sees now. At Synova's blog there's a video.

Shouting Thomas said...

Does violence define masculinity?

We bulls are supposed to fight over the pussy.

Most of it is just ritual.

And, we're supposed to protect the Damsels in Distress. It's our job.

Synova said...

Apparently my video did not embed.
Grrr.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Three words NRA self preservation.

Well more than three, since the NRA is really three words tied up into one, by violent men probably.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

the video is on Synova.

XRay said...

I've had a bit much to drink... is that 'guy' really speaking for the "NRA". I mean, the National Rifle Association. Seriously.

Except for Synova, who's words I trust, I would have stopped watching after the first sentence. To simplify, my view is that you have to be a man to talk about men. I didn't see that in that video.

But then, working that blender can be so intense, I may have missed something.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Do all that and all that is left to satisfy our primal biological imperatives and signal which man is the most masculine is criminal violence.

By trying to immunize ourselves from something that might be essential to our development, we might be changing ourselves, in ways we wont know until well into the experiment.

Call it "Global Human Cooling"

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

My name is Lem Gore... and here to talk about global human cooling ;)

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

This guy went to the movies and thought... by George, I think I got it!

deborah said...

lol Lemgore

Synova said...

The NRA has several people who have been invited to do videos for them with the disclaimer that their views are their own. I've watched a couple different people but I've never watched any of this guy's other videos. There's usually something they each say that I don't completely agree with.

I like that they seem to be going for diversity of views instead of only a diversity of people.

I can imagine what the purpose of this was, to focus on the source of violence instead of the tools of violence. He just missed some of the nuance that happens to be one of my, so to speak, triggers. :)

Synova said...

Also, I should say that I don't think he explicitly said that all violence was taught, but I felt there was an overwhelming implication that he was starting from that assumption.

Synova said...

What the heck was that movie trailer?

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I'm a sucker for puns Synova.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

What the heck was that movie trailer?

The Purge (2013)

Half social allegory, half home-invasion thriller, The Purge attempts to use thriller formula to make an intelligent point -- but ultimately only ends up sinking in numbing violence and tired clichés.