Friday, June 6, 2014

Vodafone: Governments Use Secret Cables to Tap Phones

"Government agencies are able to listen to phone conversations live and even track the location of citizens without warrants using secret cables connected directly to network equipment, admits Vodafone today."
The company said that secret wires have been connected to its network and those belonging to competitors, giving government agencies the ability to tap in to phone and broadband traffic. In many countries this is mandatory for all telecoms companies, it said.
The company Vodafone is releasing a "Law Enforcement Disclosure Report" which the company claims will "describe exactly how the governments it deals with are eavesdropping on citizens."

I don't know... I've pretty much accepted that all my communications can be listened to, sold, compromised, criticized ... Well, maybe not criticized.

My point is... what is the point?.. my point is I have zero expectation of privacy. Privacy, as we've known it, and, other than our thoughts, is on it's way to becoming something like a wrestling match prop. Privacy appeals and supposedly means something, but, in real terms it is as significant as a selfie.

5 comments:

Chip S. said...

I've pretty much accepted that all my communications can be listened to, sold, compromised, criticized ... Well, maybe not criticized.

Wanna bet?

ampersand said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Calypso Facto said...

This comment has been removed by REDACTED

ken in tx said...

I grew up with a party-line phone. I have had postal inspectors open my mail. This was in the 50s and 60s. Nothing has really changed.

ken in tx said...

BTW, in the 70s, any cell phone calls (they were called car phones then) could be intercepted with a shortwave radio. I used to listen in all the time. I heard some interesting calls between husbands, wives and girlfriends--of the I'll be working late type.