Thursday, June 19, 2014

Durum wheat

I asked a Nebraskan wheat farmer that I know if he ever grows durum wheat. I use it a frequently by another name, semolina. 
Do you ever grow durum wheat? 
When I compare photos of durum with aextivum, I cannot see any difference. This is using Google images. They all look the same to me. 
This map shows durum is grown in Canada. (http://luirig.altervista.org/flora/taxa/floranam.php?genere=Triticum
I use durum all the time for noodles, pasta, and such. I like to mix it.
He responded with alacrity in a lengthy one-paragraph answer that follows. I found his answer interesting. I think might too.



My Aunt & Uncle in North Dakota always grew durum wheat & I was always surprised how much more money they made with that variety. However, durum wheat is a "spring wheat," meaning it is planted in the spring as it cannot survive winter temperatures. Durum wheat has never been grown in our area as our "winter wheat" varieties are much hardier &  survive even the most severe winter conditions. Winter wheat is planted in the fall and then goes dormant through the winter months. This past winter was absolutely the worst winter conditions I have ever experienced, due mostly because of the severe drought & incessant winds. This year the plant actually retracted below the soil surface so there was nothing to hold the top soil in place & my fields blew away day after day until there was drifted dirt, as fine as beach sand, dirt like snow drifts covering trees & fences. I have just completed hiring a neighbor who plowed the drifts of dirt as deep as mechanically possible in order to mix it in with undisturbed soil far below the surface. Thankfully we have had enough moisture to make that possible and though this will definitely not be a "bumper" year, I am amazed at the recovery of the wheat crop, though thin, the plant is very strong & lush. Normally the harvesting would begin the week of July 4-10, but this year it will be very late, probably more towards the July 15-20 (always dependent on ongoing weather conditions.) So far we have escaped any hail storms & we are very excited to get this year behind us. Because of my "slowness" to adapt to the new farming method of strictly "chemical fallow," where poison in now sprayed on the stubble fields instead of working the ground through the summer months. I have purchased the necessary equipment to switch over to the new method, but this year I will have 1/2 devoted to the new chemical fallow & 1/2 to the old method. I am hoping to purchase a self propelled sprayer with this years crop revenue. Sprayers are priced from $185,000 to $250,000, plus I will probably have to dig a new water well @ $20,000 & build  support water storage tanks. I hate to spend the money as my retirement years are swiftly approaching, but having the spraying done by "custom commercial applicators" is costing me a fortune. I have already spent $80,000 this year alone and that has been for only one spraying. In wet years, you may have to spray 3 or 4 times. All of my larger & wealthier farming neighbors have completely switched over to the new method and their wheat is possibly more thick & lush as it has ever been. My closest neighbor, the county's largest land owner, has been doing the chemical method now for going on 10 years and his wheat is so thick that you cant even walk through it. When I look at my wheat next to his I die with embarrassment. Also, our local grain storage elevators do not have the facilities to separate durum wheat from winter wheat and will not accept spring wheat varieties. I may have told you, but out of my 23 fields, I only lost one, whereas it was "adjusted" for Federal Crop Insurance purposes to producing only 6 bushels per acre, (the plants are actually counted by hand in several places in each field). That 6 bushels is then subtracted from my 10 year average, with the highest & lowest production figures thrown out of the calculation. With my established 45 bushel average yield, I am then paid for a 39 bushel per acre crop. Since the insurance price was set last October @ $7.11 per bushel, I will actually make more money on that one lost field than had I actually harvested it, since the current wheat market is now @ $6.45 per bushel plus I do not have to pay for the harvesting. That one field has now been mechanically destroyed and I have planted millet in it's place. The millet is locally processed by Penington Seed Company which is contracted by Walmart to produce it's bird feed mixture. If the millet crop is successful, it has a 90 day maturation, then the proceeds from the millet sale will be deducted from the final Federal Crop Insurance payment. D 

18 comments:

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

DUURRMM wheat.

That is all.

Duurrmm.

ndspinelli said...

This is not a slam on this farmer @ all. I knew nothing about farming growing up in New England. But, living in a small farming town in Wi. I have gotten to know many farmers. Almost all of them have little connection or interest in how their product is used. They are old fashioned guys who eat what their wife makes. They see their crops as this guy wrote so well, from their perspective. How they can grow it in good and bad conditions, yield, etc. I buy most of my vegetables in the summer from Hmong women. They love to talk about how they cook w/ their produce and are interested in how others also do.

Sydney said...

Gosh. Growing crops is complicated

ndspinelli said...

I got to know a very interesting, successful farmer and businessman. He started the Dane County Coop. He had farming interests all over the Midwest. One of his most successful was a cucumber pickle farm in Texas. He had little tolerance for farmers who complained about droughts. He said if you have irrigation you can handle a drought. It takes an investment up front but it pays for itself w/ just one drought, which will ALWAYS come. What a farmer can't handle or so anything about is too much rain.

ndspinelli said...

I tried to get into making pasta. My grandma did and it was fun to help, particularly the ravioli. No machines back then.

The Concrete Dog said...



farming with red cross dynamite in 1910

james kemper
sat on his frnt porch
readng th du pont brochure
full of wonder

it promisd
'dynamite excavates th hole
loosens the ground for yards around
kills all grubs
formng a spongy resrvoir for moisture
trees plantd in dynamited holes
live and thrive
and
a whole row of tree holes
can be excavatd in one instant
wth dynamite'

he talkd about this
and his many hopes
with miss melrose
who sat upon th porch swing
her bright spirit
a complemnt to his
bringing life to
dreary and barren days

on hearing his plan
a spool of thread fell
from her lap
their hands
accidently met
'please don't do this'
she sed softly
then resumd sewing

that afternoon
in th distance
twenty 3 trees
and james
fell to the detonation
in one instant
between her stitches

her face now aflame
miss melrose
stood
saw an empty space
wher once was james
she sat
and sewed
not knowing what to do
next

Dad Bones said...

In the sixties I knew some guys from Langdon, North Dakota, who proudly proclaimed it "The Durum Capitol of the World". Now I see Langdon is "Standing Proud on the Prairie" and also "The Western Gateway to the Rendezvous Region".

That's a lot of slogans for less than 2,000 people and only one registered sex offender, according to Wiki.

KCFleming said...

I always thought it was sad when a town had signs saying it was a gateway to somewhere else.

KCFleming said...

It's like saying, "Don't bother stopping, you'll just go somewhere else like everyone else, including our kids goddammit."

Chip Ahoy said...

Langdon, North Dakota, "Home of the Slogan for every 5,000 People."

KCFleming said...

I am the
Gateway to Intelligent Discussion.
Just Keep Moving.

KCFleming said...

Now that I think about it, the chemistry department where I went to college was the Gateway to Medical School and they HATED the pre-med students.

One professor angrily told me I was just "using" chemistry to get into medical school.

I thought to myself, well ...YEAH. That's why you guys recruited me, to pay your salary. No, sorry, I don't love aldehydes or double bonds, beakers or moles.

Maybe she liked being used.
NTTAWWT.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

For me, going to law school was the gateway to wanting to shoot myself in the head.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

If I had it to do all over again, knowing what I know now, I'd have enlisted in the Navy or started a microbrewery.

And not have wasted so much time obsessing about women, not that I had much say in that.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

There is a lot to know if you are a farmer.

Allen S could tell you too.

I noticed Farro (Triticum dicoccumis) gaining ground as a niche boutique wheat. It has survived in Northern Italian cooking. It is an ancient grain, going back at least to Roman times (and probably well before that). Steamed it is a crunch alternative to rice and great in soups (similar to barley).

Spelt and einkorn are similar, but not exactly the same. These wheats do not thresh completely when harvested, requiring different processing (which can be a problem). I know spelt is a winter wheat (not sure about farro and einkorn). They do better on marginal soils and can tolerate harsher conditions than modern hybrids.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

I'm in the middle of farming/ranching country. Some crops are constant but other types of farming come and go depending on the price of the crop and the contracts for it.

Constants hay,alfalfa,wild rice. Cattle. Cattle. Cattle. Sheep. Goats

Right now hay and alfalfa hay are huge because the price has gone way up due to the drought elsewhere. I think they are getting over $350 a ton for the premium grade and all the hay barns are getting full. Wild rice is peaking but they have so much of the processed product stored some of the farmers are letting their fields go fallow or turning to mint or hay. The mint is processed to oil and you are likely using it in your toothpaste this morning.

Sugar beets came and went. Potatoes no longer grown here except by those farmers who are specializing in the weird varieties. Garlic is a crop that is coming on strong. Carrots grown for seed. Not for the carrots. Strawberry plants grown to be transplanted down in the valley because we don't have the nematodes that kill the plants in the valley soils.

Cattle is still king because there is grazing land in abundance and most of the grazing is flood irrigated (cheap method and we have abundant water). We provide the methods to get it out of the ground or out of the rivers :-)

Many of the older farmers are like the ones Spinelli describes. Old, crusty, stuck in their ways. Clodhoppers. However, their sons and daughters coming back from Cal Poly or Davis are really making a difference with better methods and more efficient business practices.

Farming and ranching is HARD. Every year is a crap shoot.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

DBQ: You have to cut hay when the sun in shining!

Meade said...

The Child Catcher in the Durum Rye