Thursday, May 8, 2014

Proflowers

Mother's day May 11, 2014.

Proflowers, what you see; what you get.


Poorly reviewed online.

Site jabber 1.5 stars out of five stars

Fat wallet, some people like it, most people do not.

Flowers arrive as buds. The scheme is planned that way. Flowers bloom at different rates so the arrangement of different type blooms shown is not what occurs at home. People report some roses not opening at all. Separate species of cut flowers are shipped in a box each stem with their own separate life sustaining glass vial, a test tube with a rubber stopper. So they start out looking alright in the box. The vase is well protected. They are not arranged as with baby's breath, just the flowers and vase, it is up to the recipient to do the trimming and the arrangement.

This would baffle my mother to bits. I know that as fact. She would not be able to comply with instructions to cut the stems first, trim leaves, add whatever else to complete an arrangement, trim stems and leaves, add elements not shipped such as bizarrely shaped twigs, and spacing plants such as baby's breath, add nutrients, change water, then within three days recut the stems, change the water, and re-feed. All that was well beyond her. 

My favorite thing was buy flowers out of the grocery store cooler and and create an arrangement myself using one of her vases, a feat that completely mystified her and she said so. She said to another woman, "I don't know how he does it."

"I have the gene, Mum." 

"What?"

"Never mind." 

But flowers for Mum, any plant for that matter, is tantamount to consigning them to certain prompt death. In her world it is the thought that counts, then they die. And quickly too. Like that *snap* 

I'd do the same thing for my landlady, buy the same bunches. Two completely different reactions. Mum would be all, "These should be red" no matter what color or type best on that day, and the plants would go limp, dying, dead within just a few days, the dead curled flowers displayed as corpses as reminder of what was, while my landlady would flip right out properly thrilled with receiving a bouquet and she'd care for them tenderly extending their life by weeks. I am not exaggerating. The contrast was between them sharp as could be. 

That was fun. I should do that again for the ladies I know now. What an unexpected surprise that will be. I forgot until right now how fun that was.

11 comments:

bagoh20 said...

It's easy enough today with Google to find a florist close to the lady, check their reviews, and order from them. Once you have a good one, be loyal. When I call the florist near my girl, they answer with "Hi Mr. Bagoh, what would like to get her today? I don't need to give payment or destination info. They got it all handled. We both really appreciate the convenience and reliability of that relationship and do our best to please each other. Symbiosis is smart. Avoid mosquitos.

bagoh20 said...

I have gotten good and bad results with Proflowers, but I'm never disappointed with a florist once I have a relationship. Proflowers eliminates the relationship, and there is no real added convenience today with the internet at your fingertips. God bless Al Gore.

Trooper York said...

We just started selling lingerie in all sizes as we are opening a lingerie store in my back space.

So I decided to advertise on my side walk board to announce our new products:

"GET A THONG FOR MOM"

Trooper York said...

Nobody thought it was a good idea.

bagoh20 said...

"we are opening a lingerie store in my back space."

Really? Nobody is gonna take that? You're all just gonna let it hang there?

ricpic said...

Does anything prove that Man does not live by bread alone more than the flower business?

Is this what made the Koch brothers multi-zillionaires (to quote undertaker Reid)? I dunno.

Aridog said...

The link to the review site doesn't work. Here is Site Jabber's reviews on Pro Flowers.

Meh. I always stick to local florists in the town where the intended recipient lives. Or dies...the more frequent case these days at my age. :)

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Flowers are pretty. I often make arrangements from the flowers and bushes in our yard.

However, I just feel that buying arrangements of flowers that are doomed to eventually wilt and die is a huge waste of money....and flowers. I have told my husband to not buy me flowers for gifts. Living plants. Yes. Flowers. No thank you. If you must buy me gifts, then something that will last. Like jewelry :-) or something that I can use.

Elizabeth said...

*delurking* Well, phooey. I decided to give them a try this year. :)

Chip Ahoy said...

Elizabeth. Bummer. On the good side, some of the reviewers did give full star reviews.

Elizabeth said...

Mom has received the flowers and was quite pleased with them. Maybe the ProFlowers folk took the negative reviews to heart? In any event, it worked out well -- this time, anyway.

Thank you for replying, Chip. I really enjoy your posts -- pop-up cards and things Egyptian in particular.