Saturday, May 10, 2014

KLEM FM


That song dates from 1971. It's from the same album as "Maggie May," but never climbed the charts as high which is a pity because it's a great story. I learned a few new things about it at its Wiki page:

Kenney Jones, the usual Faces drummer did not play drums on the track as I had long assumed -- Micky Waller did. That reminded me of finding out that Kenney Jones played drums on the Stones' It's Only Rock And Roll (But I like It) and not Charlie Watts.

Stewart has dropped some of the more controversial lyrics in subsequent performances. I don't recall people getting upset about them in the 1970's. You'll never hear them if you skip through the song.

12 comments:

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

You'll never hear them if you skip through the song.

It's my body and I'll cry if I want to... wait.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

hey, I have that album on the iTunes. Cool.

chickelit said...

What don't you have, Lem?

chickelit said...

Anybody have any stuffed grape leave recipes?

Dolmades?

Unknown said...

I'm not following the lyrics by listening to the song. To my ear, the music drowns out his raspy voice.

So I looked tup'. Is this about the "Slant-eyed lady'?

sakredkow said...

"One minute" @3:30

sakredkow said...

I wonder if you'll thi better better, April.

sakredkow said...

this

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

That's one of those songs that can leave you feeling all revved up with nowhere to go.

Unknown said...

I must have terrible taste in music. I don't like the older Rod Stewart stuff at all. Thanks for the link, PHX - the words are clear despite the raspy.

chickelit said...

I doubt that April. Rod Stewart is just 1970's music, filed between Roberta Flack and Roxy Music.

Stewart was uncanny in that good musicians always surrounded him. Ron Wood was the real sleeper, and became a full fledged Rolling Stone just a few years later.

Trooper York said...

My favorite song of that era by Rod is "Handbags and Gladrags."